Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
S

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, September 22nd, 2020 5:01 AM

A new phone and new SIM card, but can still keep my number and plan?

I ordered a new phone online, and I had to get a new SIM card as well since it needed a "nano" SIM.

Where on AT&T website can I order a functional, PREPAID SIM card? 

Another question is: can I keep the same number and PREPAID plan I use now even after changing the device and SIM card? Then how do I update the information on my new device and SIM card?

Please help me with this question. Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

4 years ago

I can't quite tell from your post but as an existing AT&T customer just move the old SIM card to the new phone to continue service using your existing plan as phone number.

If your old SIM card is too large you need to call AT&T to transfer your phone number and plan to the new smaller, nano SIM card.  

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

@lizdance40

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I have to get a new nano SIM because the phone I have been using needed a larger SIM card. 

Then I guess it will be safer to bring the new phone I purchased online to AT&T store to get a new SIM card and do the information transfer.

Apparently, AT&T stores don't seem to sell smartphones for PREPAID anymore or very limited, but still provide PREPAID plans.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

4 years ago

AT&T does cell phones for prepaid, but they make it extremely difficult to order a phone online and have it shipped as an existing customer.

Because they make it difficult I usually recommend that people not buy from AT&T. If they want your money they're going to have to do a better job of making it easy to take your money. Meanwhile places like Walmart, Target, and Best Buy will ship you a phone without any fuss.  

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

@lizdance40 

I have physically been to several AT&T stores, and they either didn't have any phones for PREPAID or just sold a specific generation of iPhone.

Yeah, I actually ordered my new phone from Amazon. The seller (with high rating) said it's compatible with all the AT&T services because it's AT&T-locked. Well, hopefully, I don't get a weird one.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

4 years ago

Good.  👍 

If AT&T ever decides it wants to service prepaid customers properly, they can get their website straightened out so that it's not a pain in the neck to buy a new phone.

You aren't the first to bring this up, and my reply will continue until At&t fixes what's broke. 

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

if i get a new phone with a prepaid plan online,do i just have to activate the phone? no need for the prepaid SIM card?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

3 years ago

You just move your existing sim card. 

Then transfer your data. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.