Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
nveiga's profile

1 Message

Wednesday, February 28th, 2024 9:57 PM

340 area code no longer supported by AT&T

I have been advised that AT&T will no longer be supporting 340 area codes as of 4/6/2024. I cannot change my number so AT&T have advised that I must switch to another carrier. I have a balance remaining on my prepaid account of approximately $500. Can this balance be transferred to another non-prepaid AT&T account or refunded to me please.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

3 months ago

Haven't they been advising you of this change for nearly 4 years?

Didn't they inform you that your number would be permanently transferred to Liberty Mobile?  

Service in the US Virgin Islands was transferred to Liberty Mobile in 2020. The sale process begin almost 2 years previous to that.   

It is unlikely AT&T will refund anything. They don't owe you a refund. The money you pay in to a pay-per-use account is to keep the account open for a period of time. A $100 refill keeps the account open for $365 days. Whether or not you reduce the balance by spending the money on service is entirely up to you.

AT&T is within its rights to say: change your number to a domestic USA number and keep the plan and balance, or become a customer of Liberty Mobile (with your $500 balance)  or forfeit the $500 to go to another carrier.

I assume AT&T has already given you these options?

Posting here is not going to get you a different answer. This is a customer populated forum not a different avenue to talk to the same people you've already talked to.   Most of this discussion occurred in 2020 and most people already made whatever provisions changes etc that they needed to, including reducing the balance in their account rather than waiting till the 11th hour

ACE - Scholar

• 

989 Messages

3 months ago

Good question.  There was a post last year about going from prepaid to postpaid.  https://forums.att.com/conversations/wireless-account/change-service-prepaid-to-postpaid/649669991b0cbb5f373a7167

which, if ATTHelp is correct, says that the balance can be transferred as a credit.

So maybe you can transfer to ATT Postpaid, and then see whether they will refund your credit when you have to leave ATT.

1 Message

1 month ago

I have not been informed, and my phone just stopped getting signal.  

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

1 month ago

They can send you e-mail after e-mail, but they cannot make you read them.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

1 month ago

😑.  

For the past 4 years there have been scores of people who have posted in a panic because they have received emails and text messages informing them that they had  become Liberty mobile customers if their phone numbers where area codes that belong to the US Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico. 

It's not AT&T's problem that you didn't read. 

ACE - Scholar

• 

989 Messages

1 month ago

Probably people who got tired of texts and emails about the next month being charged.  Or billing statements on postpaid.  So just blew them off.

And it is VERY likely that there has been something on the billing statement about this (postpaid).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.