Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
annemarie1000's profile

2 Messages

Tuesday, September 26th, 2023 1:03 AM

Trying to get landline reconnected

I am trying to help an elderly person get her landline reconnected. For some reason it was disconnected over a year ago. She ended up having her phone number transferred to a cell phone, but has been unable to use the cell phone and has been without any phone connection for a year. Recently her health seriously declined and she is not able to get out of her home. She really needs to have a phone connection.

I went to her home and spent over 2 hours on the phone with ATT trying to make this happen. We ran into one deadend after another, being continually transferred to different departments, waiting on hold each time for 15-20 minutes, getting disconnected and having to start over. It was UNBELIEVABLE. I finally had to leave and was planning on contacting ATT by email and making some progress in that way.

But guess what - you can't contact ATT by email. You have to go through this crazy maze of a phone system which leads absolutely NOWHERE. I can't do anything from my office as she needs to be there to give her permission for everything. And I'm not even sure if she can get a regular wired landline to her location. It seems that fibre optic is now 'offered' in her area. And it may be that she can only have a landline with fibre optic. But that goes through the internet, and she doesn't use internet or have an internet connection. 

What are the options for getting a landline? Is it possible to communicate with someone at ATT without spending 2 or 3 or 4 hours on the phone? Help!!!

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

19.6K Messages

9 months ago

If there is a good cell phone signal at her location, check into a wireless home phone, there's several who offer them. You plug a regular phone into them and the voice quality is very good. I've had one from Verizon for several years and am quite happy with it. I'm an old phone guy and very picky about voice quality. 

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

9 months ago

AT&T does not use email for customer service or starting or canceling service.  So yes it is phone calls only and as you have discovered, that can be a nightmare.

There is a good chance that POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) is no longer available and only Digital Phone Service is.  And yes, you must have Internet service for digital phone service.

It might be best for her to have a very simple (no bells or whistles) PREPAID cellphone.  If her phone number is still active, you should be able to port her number.  Google “best cellphones for seniors” to see your options.

@formerlyknownas is our resident wireless expert.  Hopefully she can offer some advice on this predicament.

Bear in mind that these forums are customer populated and not a direct way to contact AT&T.

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

19.6K Messages

9 months ago

@skeeterintexas For the elderly I'd go with the wireless home phone, they can't tell the difference between it and a landline, even though it is cellular service. Much better voice quality than a cell phone, cheaper and easier for the elderly to use. 

2 Messages

8 months ago

I think that may be what they’re offering with fibre optics, but she would have to have internet. Which she does not have.

Expert

• 

19.6K Messages

8 months ago

No it's not the same as digital phone service. AT&T phone. Several companies offer standalone wireless home phone service, AT&T doesn't. 

(edited)

15 Messages

8 months ago

I had POTS installed on 09/25/2023!  Just get new POTS landline number at https://expressordering.att.com ! Don't go to AT&T phone maze.  I got POTS because my wife will be working at home and POTS can be upgraded to DSL.  Warning that POTS line would be setup as business line so you need only 1 line. I tried porting from cellphone to landline but AT&T won't do it. They always run a credit check. AT&T won't entertain you if have a personal account.  AT&T will only cater to business accounts to give you priority status.  As 3 landline phones, I am surprised they still hooked them up!

15 Messages

8 months ago

Oh don't give up Anne!

Try calling AT&T PAC (Port Activation Center

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.