Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
grubbser's profile

5 Messages

Sunday, September 10th, 2023 6:35 PM

POTS number transfer

Having difficulty gathering correct info for a POTS number transport. My landline paper bill shows a 14 digit account number:

xxx xxx xxxx xxx x However, my online profile shows a 13 digit account number xxx xxx xxxx xxx. I believe I was rejected for a number transfer to a different company because I chose the wrong account number. I also need a PIN number, but nobody can tell me what that PIN is. Some say it is the last 4 digits of the account number. But if I choose the wrong account (13 digit or 14 digit) I'm screwed and the process has to be started from scratch again, Why won't ATT just provide the answer to this question that keeps coming up?!

Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

10 months ago

It depends on the region you're in. See these 3 topics, TOPIC 1, TOPIC 2 and TOPIC 3

5 Messages

10 months ago

Thank you. I noticed these posts but the problem is that the responses vary. Am I supposed to ignore the last (14th digit) in my account number and work with only 13 digits as in response 1 where they did not include it as part of their account number. Or do I follow response 2 and include the 14th digit as part of my PIN. I know you probably can't tell me for sure, but this issue has me going around in circles. Nobody at ATT has a clue when I am lucky enough to talk to a real person and my father has been without cell service while we wait for this porting of the landline to his cell phone to get resolved :

1) The default PIN is the last three digits of your account number and the last digit of your account number.  For example: If your account number is 312-555-6666 123, then your default PIN is 1233.  

2 )How they came up with the PIN number was basically taking the 11th, 12th, and 13 number of your account number "YYY" + the last digit (aka 14th digit) of the account number "Z" to give you the PIN which is YYY-Z (four digits) 

Put another way, the last four digits of your "Account Number: XXXXXXXXXXYYYZ" is your PORT PIN: YYYZ

Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

10 months ago

Nobody at AT&T has a clue, because POTS lines are being phased out and they just don't care about them and offer little or no training to their reps. All I can tell you is the reasons there are 3 topics is because of the different regions that were bought out by Southwestern Bell, now AT&T, who they also bought out. I have no idea why your online account would be different than the paper bill. Just an opinion of course, but I'd go with the paper bill. 

5 Messages

10 months ago

Thank you for the help. If I continue to experience issues I’ll try filing a complaint with the FCC and see if that gets me anywhere. 

5 Messages

9 months ago

If anyone sees this in the future, I was finally able to get my traditional landline number ported to a cell phone with a new carrier. If anyone has a 14 digit account number on their AT&T bill printed in this fashion: XXX XXX XXXX YYY Z with the first 10 numbers being your telephone number, that is the account number you will give to your new carrier - the full 14 digits. The PIN number that you will give them is the last 4 digits: YYY Z. Be prepared for the person on the line to doubt that this is correct. Xfinity support questioned it (probably because the PIN number also appears in the account number and that is not the norm for porting mobile numbers or digital landline numbers) but I insisted that it is indeed my PIN. Don't let them talk you out of trying it. It took a little over 24 hours (starting on Monday - no porting occurs on weekends) for the process to complete. I hope this will help someone out there because this whole process has been quite an ordeal!

Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

9 months ago

Thanks for letting us know what worked for you. Glad you got it resolved. 

8 Messages

6 months ago

So on my PAPER Bill next to Account Number it shows (XXX) XXX-XXXX YYY ZZZZ

I finally understand that my account number is the combination of the XXXYYY numbers (13 digits). Ah but the PIN. Is it really what's described above, or is it the ZZZZ I see on my bill? Per a different thread (https://forums.att.com/conversations/landline-phone-troubleshooting/how-do-i-port-my-att-landline-number-to-another-carrier/63d1fc297b0b6c78588f76a9) it looks like the PIN is the ZZZZ part of the PAPER bill next to, at the end of, account number.

Also, is there some, like online, way to confirm what my PIN is via the WEB login or something?

Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

6 months ago

This is a duplicate post. If you read the 3 topics that describe how to find your PIN that's all there is, nothing online. Running the same issue in two topics is just going to confuse the issue, keep it to the topic you started. 

(edited)

8 Messages

6 months ago

Agreed. Apologies for posting here. I'm in what was Bellsouth Land, and updated my original post based on your original "It depends on what Region you are in...) data.

Thanks much.

5 Messages

6 months ago

Yes it looks like you have more numbers in your account than I did, so it’s probably a different pin. I hope you get it straightened out. I know how frustrating it was for me. Good luck! 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.