Lakeview4538's profile

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, October 18th, 2022 8:12 PM

Landline support ending

My parents live in an assisted living facility and currently have a landline phone with AT&T service. My dad received a call about AT&T ending their landline service. From my online research, it does look like they are ending it but I don’t see anywhere where it talks about timing or options for seniors who need a landline vs. cell phone. Does anyone know what’s going on? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

17.5K Messages

4 months ago

@Lakeview4538 See this topic and read the link. Is this what you're talking about?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

4 months ago

Talk to the facility they are in.  If AT&T is ending POTS for your parents, they are ending POTS for everyone.

Apparently the facility is switching over to DIGITAL phone service (VOIP) which requires a modem.  But again, check with facility to see what your options are.  Of course cell service would always be available.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

17.5K Messages

4 months ago

Could be a scam to get them to switch service. Call support and see.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

4 months ago

Could be a scam to get them to switch service. Call support and see.

True but again living in an assisted living facility, residents are bound to the rules, services and policies of the facility.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

62.2K Messages

4 months ago

My bet is it was a scam call. ATT doesn’t call you, if they were really ending service something like that would be on the bill or they would send a letter or both. Landline service is heavily regulated, I’m not even sure they can just end service. 

• 

3 Messages

4 months ago

I did a search and apparently it’s not a scam. I read that the FCC took away the requirements for copper-wired infrastructure systems as of last August. Therefore, the big providers CAN cease their services. I can’t find anything on timing and the call my dad received sounds like it was someone trying to sell him an optional service. I guess I need to call AT&T. I’ve also contacted the facility manager to see if they have any information. I will post whatever I find out.

• 

3 Messages

4 months ago

@spoom2 yes, this is exactly what I was referring to. It sounds like there’s nothing to be super worried about right now. Thank you for the information!

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

17.5K Messages

4 months ago

You're welcome. Scammers are using that to get people to switch to their service. Pretty low. 

• 

2 Messages

3 months ago

I have been calling to have my Landline disconnected since October 21st.  I have two disconnect orders.  I still have dial tone.  I have called 4 times & chat twice. Been Told to unplug telephone. Stupid.  New Bill came service still on.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

17.5K Messages

3 months ago

That is not what this topic is about. When you call in say cancel service at the voice prompt to get to the right group. If you need further suggestions please start your own topic.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.