For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
turk1604's profile

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, March 18th, 2023 9:56 PM

Landline porting department

I'm attempting to port my ATT landline telephone to a different service provider. I have been on the phone back and forth between both providers for hours today. As it stands the service provider I am trying to port to says that you (AT&T) needs to send a "resolution required for incorrect account pin". I attempted to call and speak to someone about this, that would be the 5th or 6th time I have called AT&T today. As usual I was bounced around various service departments, with no resolution. The last one I spoke to was apparently in the WIRELESS porting department, they said that I needed to speak to people in a different department. 

Due to language barrier I was not able to understand all that I was told, but I did get two different numbers for that department. When I read that number back off to agent, she confirmed they it was correct. I called one of those numbers, 800-773-4967, and did not hear an option that sounded correct. I called the other number, 877-300-9227, and it went to what sounded like a scam call, it had an automated message telling me to select 1 for a chance at $100 something-or-other, and select 2 for another offer. I hung up. 

That agent may have said the department only works Monday through Friday. That was the part where the language barrier come into play, due to the accent I couldn't tell exactly what she was saying. Even so I don't think it is right for your agents to be giving out numbers that go to a scam like that. 

I need the contact information for who to call about getting this number porting issue resolved. 

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

1 year ago

It’s the same 800 number everyone uses 

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

1 year ago

(AT&T) needs to send a "resolution required for incorrect account pin".

I can tell you the resolution that is required for sending an incorrect account pin:  You send the CORRECT account PIN.  If your landline is POTS, then normally you have a 17 digit account number printed on your bill.  The first 10 digits are your phone number.  The next three digits are a serial number, to make it unique across different holders of the phone number, and the final four digits are the PIN.  Is that the PIN you gave your new provider?  If not, then the "resolution required" is to give them that PIN.

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

1 year ago

See this topic on how to determine your PIN on a POT line.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

1 year ago

Hm... apparently there are two different, but similar, account formats used.  I know mine is accurate for the BellSouth region.  I don't know what region that other topic is valid for.

Summary:

Bellsouth:  NPA-NXX-NNNN-SSS-PPPP

(where NPA-NXX-NNNN is the phone number, NPA-NXX-NNNN-SSS is the account number, and PPPP is the PIN)

Some other region: XXXXXXXXXXYYYZ

(where XXXXXXXXXX is the phone number and YYYZ is the PIN)

Might there be other formats for other regions?

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

@JefferMC both companies have made it near impossible to determine what they are talking about. It doesn't help that everyone I've spoken with at both companies are ESL (English as a Second <or third, or fourth...> Language) and they don't seem to be using the same translation algorithm.

My landline is POTS and that is likely part of the problem. Even though I tell them up front that it is a traditional landline, both keep acting like it is wireless. I understand that the other company is cellular networks only, but even ATT that is the current service provider can't seem to understand it.

From your second post, that first account number format does look like what is on my bill. So does that mean that I should be providing "NPA-NXX-NNNN-SSS" as the account number and "PPPP" as the transfer pin?

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

@Constructive if I'm stuck using the same number can you be "constructive" and tell me how to bypass the useless automated system and get to a real person in the correct department. The automated system thinks that it can help, but since we're dealing with a landline it can't. It also sends me to the wrong department every time.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

1 year ago

AT&T-POTS only has one PIN that serves all needs.  Mine used to be my long distance charge PIN, then it was my Customer Service PIN, then, finally, it was my transfer PIN.  That's it, that's all you got, and should be all you need.  In some cases the new phone company is smart enough to only ask for "Phone Number" (10 digits) and "Account Number" (all 17 digits) and break it apart for themselves.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.