20th Community Anniversary
#1 Star!
The 5th element!

Tutor

• 

70 Messages

Thursday, October 27th, 2022 1:36 AM

Inbound Call Intercept (sometimes)

Anybody else having this problem? Some folks calling my landline number (and one of my neighbors but not the other) from cellular (not all cellular are and not landline) are getting the message "The call you have made requires an initial deposit. Please hang up momentarily, listen for dial tone, deposit the amount in the instruction card and dial again." Call forwarding and selective call forwarind is off. Sounds like AT&T was hacked or has a routing issue. The mobility care folks have no clue as they heard it from their numbers as well. A ticket has been opened with the landline folks but I suspect they will claim no problem as well.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

17.5K Messages

3 months ago

What's common? You say you and one neighbor and not another is everyone using the same carrier? You say not all cell service, are the ones that fail on the same service? I think you're going to find a common denominator which will help figure out what it may be. 

thechef1

Tutor

• 

70 Messages

3 months ago

Common, they are all using AT&T Cellular. But not all AT&T Cellular are being intercepted (AT&T Cellular Care was, 5 phones were, 2 were not).

One of our neighbors with AT&T Landline is having the same problem when we call them from Cellular, the other is not.

Landline to landline appears to work (we callled the neighbor from our landline who was blocked from our cellular line, and it went thru).

Inconslusive about non-AT&T cellular, as we would have to find folks with carriers and ask them to check.

(edited)

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

17.5K Messages

3 months ago

OK, but just because they have  AT&T cell service doesn't make them common. Do the ones that fail all have the same area code and prefix and is the first number of the last four the same? Are all the land lines AT&T? Not sure what is meant by "cellular care".

thechef1

Tutor

• 

70 Messages

3 months ago

All land lines are AT&T.

The two inbound land lines with the problem have the same area code but not the same prefix.

The outbound callers are from at least two different area codes and prefixes. Some of which share the same area code, some do not.

I have no clue what AT&T Cellular Care (611 from an AT&T Mobile phone) used to dial the numbers but they all were intercepted. They also were in contact with the AT&T Landline Care folks and neither had any ideas (other than checking call forwarding, selective call forwarding, voice mail, etc.). The landline care folks opened up a ticket for further investigation.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

17.5K Messages

3 months ago

If they are calling straight from their cell phones and not using a prepaid card I have no idea what would cause that intercept message. Also, with nothing common in the routing per your description it's going to be hard to find, especially since it's intermittent. 

thechef1

Tutor

• 

70 Messages

3 months ago

An AT&T Landline technician stopped by to report they are having a problem with the cell towers in the area. They are trying to track it down but believe their is a switch translation issue with select cell towers. The concept was foreign to him (something about re-programming SS7 thru NRC (?sp), he was reading from the ticket). He said he had contacted a few other people with the issue this AM and had to contact a few more, push the tickets back to the CO, roll them up together and forward them on. He thinks it will be fixed in a day or so.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

17.5K Messages

3 months ago

So they're having signaling issues. Thanks for the information.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.