gcotter's profile

• 

28 Messages

Thursday, August 4th, 2022 1:36 AM

If I cancel my landline phone service, will I still have internet access?

If I cancel my landline phone service, will I still have internet access?

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

2 years ago

@gcotter So with your last statement I assume your Internet service is completely separate of your phone service. Did you have DSL filters on your phone line?

• 

28 Messages

2 years ago

Earthlink had AT&T install the Hyperdrive router/modem.  I don't know how it's connected to the phone jack.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

2 years ago

@spoom2 , yeah, IIRC, Earthlink is not operating as a CLEC, just a competitive DSL reseller; they didn't want to deal with voice.  

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

2 years ago

Thank you both for the information. I've never delt with Earthlink. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

The reason I asked is when we had DSL, it was thru our AT&T landline. But, the ISP we switched to "bought" the AT&T DSL service so our internet was with the new ISP but we still had AT&T landline service. Any DSL issues were taken care of my the new ISP and any phone issues were taken care of by AT&T. Dropping our AT&T landline eventually had no effect on our DSL. I just thought it may be prudent for the OP to confirm with Earthlink that there wouldn't be any issues dropping AT&T because I don't always feel comfortable with the information that AT&T dispels.

• 

28 Messages

2 years ago

Yesterday morning, Aug 3rd, my AT&T telephone number was ported over to Ooma but I haven't cancelled AT&T yet.

This morning, when I call AT&T to ask about a trouble-ticket I submitted in mid-June, the agent claims she can no longer access my account.  Is that true?

• 

28 Messages

2 years ago

The porting of my AT&T telephone-number over to Ooma was completed yesterday morning.

Ooma said I'd need to call AT&T to cancel my landline-phone service.

When I called AT&T this morning, the agent said Ooma is now "driving the show" and if AT&T did anything, it might result in the loss of my phone number.  She said to wait a few days until AT&T's databases are "updated".

Does that mean my AT&T phone-service has already been cancelled and my AT&T account has been closed?

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

2 years ago

Ooma said I'd need to call AT&T to cancel my landline-phone service.

This was an incorrect statement by your Ooma rep.  I just went through the same transition 10 months ago.  

If you told the Ooma rep that you had DSL on it, then they may have thought you'd need to call to cancel the DSL (which, unless you bought Ooma with the T-Mobile connection, you're going to need).

• 

28 Messages

2 years ago

On Thursday morning, I've told AT&T to cancel my phone service.  This morning (Friday), AT&T confirmed that my service has been cancelled.

AT&T = Awful Terrible & Treachery
AT&T = American Thieves & Thugs
AT&T = Atrocious, Tacky, and Terrible

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.