Pre-order the New Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 & Galaxy Z Fold4 and, for a limited time, get twice the storage and a free case!
gcotter's profile
gcotter
#1 Star!
The 5th element!
10th stratosphere!

• 

28 Messages

Thu, Aug 4, 2022 1:36 AM

If I cancel my landline phone service, will I still have internet access?

If I cancel my landline phone service, will I still have internet access?

Accepted Solution

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

29.3K Messages

10日前

If you ported your AT&T number, then AT&T closed the phone account on your behalf and I would expect that any open technical issues would get closed.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

16.1K Messages

11日前

That's a question for customer service to see what's available in your area and what service you currently have. You say landline, is it a stand-alone traditional landline or is it digital service where the phone plugs into a modem? What's your Internet service?

gcotter

• 

28 Messages

11日前

Traditional landline.  AT&T confirmed that I will NOT lose Internet access (via Earthlink).

I will cancel my AT&T phone-service on Thursday morning

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.5K Messages

11日前

Unless your internet service is DSL thru your AT&T landline.

gcotter

• 

28 Messages

11日前

The AT&T chat-agent said: "Let me quickly go ahead and pul up the details of your account".

Then she said: "You can access the internet service without landline service".

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.5K Messages

11日前

Ok. That's good to know then. Do you have DSL internet?

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

16.1K Messages

10日前

Doesn't sound like it the OP stated they had Earthlink

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

29.3K Messages

10日前

You should be able to have "dry loop" DSL with Earthlink.  But I wouldn't be very surprised if gets cut off and you have to work to get it back.

gcotter

• 

28 Messages

10日前

Earthlink said my DSL internet service will not be cut-off when I cancel my AT&T landline service.  My DSL requires a dummy (non-active) phone jack.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

16.1K Messages

10日前

@OttoPylot & @JefferMC Would the OP still have AT&T landline and use a CLEC for DSL? The only CLECs I delt with had both phone and DSL service not split with the local carrier. 

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

16.1K Messages

10日前

@gcotter So with your last statement I assume your Internet service is completely separate of your phone service. Did you have DSL filters on your phone line?

gcotter

• 

28 Messages

10日前

Earthlink had AT&T install the Hyperdrive router/modem.  I don't know how it's connected to the phone jack.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

29.3K Messages

10日前

@spoom2 , yeah, IIRC, Earthlink is not operating as a CLEC, just a competitive DSL reseller; they didn't want to deal with voice.  

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

16.1K Messages

10日前

Thank you both for the information. I've never delt with Earthlink. 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.5K Messages

10日前

The reason I asked is when we had DSL, it was thru our AT&T landline. But, the ISP we switched to "bought" the AT&T DSL service so our internet was with the new ISP but we still had AT&T landline service. Any DSL issues were taken care of my the new ISP and any phone issues were taken care of by AT&T. Dropping our AT&T landline eventually had no effect on our DSL. I just thought it may be prudent for the OP to confirm with Earthlink that there wouldn't be any issues dropping AT&T because I don't always feel comfortable with the information that AT&T dispels.

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.