TechnoDino's profile

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, March 28th, 2023 6:29 PM

How does a wired landline work with ATT Fiber?

I am still on a wired landline for home phone, which I would like to keep. 

I am willing to upgrade to Fiber, but do not want to eliminate my wired home phone service. 

Can I do that?

Or will I be forced to convert to what ATT calls a wireless landline?

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

1 year ago

If you want to use the homes existing wiring and jacks you'll have to back feed the phone line from the modem to the NID and connect it to the homes wiring, after removing the phone company old feed. 

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

Okay, maybe I asked the wrong question.

Can I keep my landline if I upgrade to ATT Fiber?

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

1 year ago

I'm not sure, but I doubt it. Once digital is installed POTS goes away.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

1 year ago

To be clear, yes you can keep your landline, it will just be digital, not POTS, but it’s still considered a landline, it’s not wireless. That also means backup power is supplied locally should power go out, not by the central office. I converted from POTS to digital (not fiber, though) nearly 10 years ago and they initially installed a backup battery which has long since died and ATT no longer provides replacements. In other words, my landline goes out if I lose power now.

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

1 year ago

Back to my original statement, you can use it as you always have. I think the wireless you're talking about is a cordless phone system so you don't have to feed the homes wiring. I prefer the homes wiring. 

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

Thanks All. 

What has been mentioned, no phone if power is out, is the reason I want to keep the landline. 

My phone is available during power outages, which is how I can contact the power company to report and obtain updates. 

I will confirm with ATT. I am willing to do their update if and only if I can retain the wired landline service. 

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

1 year ago

You could always put a battery back up on it. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.