For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Norma31's profile

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, May 10th, 2023 12:11 PM

Cancel Hone Phone

Trying to cancel a landline phone for over a week. Given a confirmation number. Called back then told a supervisor must approve my request. Why does a supervisor need to "approve" my request to cancel.  Twice I have been told someone would call back to approve no one has called. I just want to cancel the service!  I have been calling the customer service line without any satisfaction. Just cancel the service as requested!

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

1 year ago

No one on the community forums can do that for you, it takes a phone call. Make sure you say cancel service at the voice prompt so you're getting to the right group.

• 

8 Messages

11 months ago

Same problem.   PHONE CALLS DO NOT WORK!!!  Not even a PHONE call from an agent at a AT&T store.   

All  I want to to do is cancel my home phone, which I never use and was physically disconnected by AT&T themselves and it has been a WEEKS of run around!   I even went to an AT&T store today where a very nice lady tried to help me, but got the very same online/customer service run around.  The people at customer in service insist on calling the disconnected home phone, which of course does not answer so they "can't validate".  They they try the pin (the one I have to enter to even enter the customer support systems, and then say it doesn't work when they typed it in.   So she talked to at least 6 actual humans and was even able to actually "reset my PIN" right there and still the same block.   She was very nice and professional, but will just call me Monday after seeing if she can actually talk to a human since for this particular case it is past business hours--I bet they are never actually open or have another "identification" issue.  

The latest game AT&T plays is to say the Pin does not work and to reset it, they say need last for of my SSN--and that fails.  Like I don't know my own SSN.   But eventually I was able to get past that (took 3 days).  Then when it happened again today.   I brought a year worth of bills Cell and Uverse, my CA drivers license and passport.   At least she got the same run around I did and after 30 minutes of wasted time, we have to try again during "business" hours.   My case is extra  special, because an AT&T premises  technician actually disconnected my phone to make it possible to install the fiber upgrade (oh yeah, I still have spray paint all over my sidewalk, street and yard).   Since I really didn't use the phone, I said to not hook it up and just cancel.  Which he did 3 weeks ago.  But I checked my bill on line and still paying for it.  So they disconnect it, but won't cancel it.  Pretty sure that violates some law.  I've been trying for a week and just get a giant run around.  Each time it is the same and even the AT&T store employee got to experience it.  In the end the person who supposedly can cancel the service says they need a PIN and claim it is the wrong one, but I had to enter the pin to even get that far !?!   So, I'll try again tomorrow, with the nice person in the store, but I'm not hopeful.   I just hope that someone you thinks about getting any AT&T service, finds this and thinks twice. 

I've decided I'm just need to move everything at this point to ensure I get actually good service, but take my time to get the best deal.  I have 4 cell lines, internet and DirectTV with AT&T for the last 15 years at this house. So that is over $7,000 year for 15 years, over $100,000 and surely would have been for the next 15 year (well minus the $50/mo "home phone".  All lost to try and screw me over $50 service they actually disconnected.  They have no interest in taking care of customers, like they used to.  Of course, this is NOT a problem the people we all chat with, but with senior management that really make these decisions and a running what was once a great company into dirt.    I don't expect and answer to all this, of course, but thought it would be good to let others know to just get away from the company when you can. I have no contracts with them and feel I have no choice now and should have done it long ago.   Loyalty means little. 

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

11 months ago

All that and you don't say if this is a traditional landline or digital service, make a difference on the PIN. You say a premise tech disconnect it. They may have physically disconnected the line, but they can't cancel the service. If this is a traditional landline they can't reset the PIN as the PIN is fixed and will be on your bill.

• 

8 Messages

11 months ago

Sorry, it has been is digital (VoIP) for last few years.   It was a POTS originally.   There is no PIN on the Bill.    Oh there isn't any kind of annual or like contract on any of the services.   

I think confusion at AT&T over POTS/Digital this may have been part of the problem initially and likely part of the transferring around,  eventually it gets to the Uverse/digital people who then claim the pin won't work (same one use to enter the system when first calling) and they transfer to a group that can only be contacted during "normal business hours".   During the previous week, I tried again and again (long waits)  and couldn't even get that far.  Today I go into Store Gov't issued IDs in hand and they think they reset the PIN as well --I'm willing to try anything.   No joy, same crap.  So, going physically with Bills and IDs in had is still not enough to make the billing stop, an employee changing the PIN right in front of you still doesn't work what is one to actually do?  FCC complaint will take years, but at least I get a record of the start date to get paid back.    I'm open to suggestions, hence the post.

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

11 months ago

FCC complaint will get you a quick response from the office of the president and be assigned to someone who can probably resolve your issue.

• 

8 Messages

11 months ago

Hahaha.   You are funny.   If only, huh. 

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

11 months ago

Laugh all you want but complaints filed with the FCC or BBB are forwarded to the Office of the President. 

Many posters to these forums have reported that their issues were resolved within a matter of days after contacting the BBB.

ACE - Expert

• 

32.1K Messages

11 months ago

@johnnyinsd 

Serious help has been provided. Leave any insults/sarcasm at the door please.

Bottom line is with the issues you've experienced, the next step is a FCC or BBB complaint. This sends your situation to the corporate level ("Office of the President"). This normally results in timely contact back to you with someone who can dig deeper on the problem and get it resolved. Since you've tried regular customer support, and even help in a store, this is the option you have. Certainly not a first step, or even step at all with some complaints, but yours seems to warrant it going that high.

Keep in mind with the recent holiday that it may not be super quick to get a response. They don't live at the office of course.

• 

8 Messages

11 months ago

Ah, I see.  I took that "Office of the President" as that of the United States.     :)   It would be nice to get some resolution, but also not have it be such a hassle.  

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

11 months ago

I took that "Office of the President" as that of the United States.     :) 

😳

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.