Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Celebrate all that he does with a gift for every kind of dad!
ATTCommunityTeam's profile
ATTCommunityTeam
Knowledge Share
Mission control approves!
Helpful 2

• 

1K Messages

Tue, Oct 6, 2020 3:21 PM

‘Mortal Kombat’ At 25: Still One Of The Best And Most Successful Video Game Movies

The secret to making a well-liked and commercially-successful video game movie has been hiding in plain sight for 25 years.

Last week marked the 25th anniversary of Paul W.S. Anderson and Kevin Droney’s Mortal Kombat. Truth be told, the nostalgia I feel for the film isn’t rooted in the movie itself (I didn’t even see it in theaters), but rather the mere notion that a video game-based movie could A) be an unapologetic B-movie genre flick and B) not necessarily expected to be an A-level box office blockbuster. Mortal Kombat’s $23.2 million domestic debut, a near-record for August (just below the $23.7 million debut of The Fugitive in 1993) at the time, of the first Mortal Kombat was very much a surprise as was its eventual $70 million domestic and $121 million worldwide.

Its success is noteworthy in retrospect, both because it cracked the video game movie code almost from the beginning and because it personified New Line Cinema’s unmatchable ability to tap into the pop culture zeitgeist.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

Responses

ATTDmitriyCM

Community Manager

• 

9.8K Messages

8 m ago

I have to admit this movie is one of my all-time favorites... a guilty pleasure if you will... :)

Rethink Possible

Did a post have an answer that worked for you? Help other users by marking helpful posts as an "Accepted Answer". And don't forget to leave a Like!

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
davemize

ACE - Professor

• 

3.4K Messages

8 m ago

Seen it many times over the years, and I'll still stop to watch it if its on.

"Don't make me summon the flying monkeys...."

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question