Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

• 

5 Messages

Sat, Mar 28, 2020 5:32 PM

why can I not connect 8 mini genies to my HR44 as the system is telling me I can only have 6 but the what is wrong here

I had a direct TV tech come out and insatll 7 working genie minis off of my HR44 genie. two days later two of the minis died. I called Diretv and got two new ones but when I went to activate them the system tells me it can only support 6 so it want me to remove one to add one. That makes no sense as the tech said the HR44 can support 8 mini client and I had 7 working at one now it says I can only have 6....

Calling Directv now is impossible to reach anyone so I am trying this forum??

Responses

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

20.3K Messages

2 months ago

The regular Genie line (HR34, HR44, HR54/HR54R1) can pair with up to 8 Clients total. However that is a bad setup. The Genie has only 5 tuners, with 2 of those reserved to itself for Picture in Picture (PiP). That leaves 3 remaining for your Clients which have no tuners of their own.

So at most only 4 TVs can be supported at one time (Genie and 3 Clients) depending on if anything is recording. That is why it is highly recommended to have HDDVRs (2 tuners, 500GB recording space) or HD non-DVRs (1 tuner, can still watch the other recordings, and has Autotune) for any TV above the 3 Clients. There is no difference in monthly cost.

Since the Genie was already paired with your over amount of 7 Clients, you should just be able to go into manage clients and remove the 2 that stopped working and then add their replacements. If it is only allowing a max of 6, that means one Client is not active on the account so the Genie is not aware it is authorized for it. Try www.directv.com/refresh, and possibly a red button reset of the HR44 to be safe, to see if it just needs to refresh the authorizations. If it still says 6 at that point then you will need to contact DirecTV to get the final Client active on the account so the Genie can pair with it.

Still, I would highly suggest replacing those additional Clients as you can with full receivers. That way you not only get the most out of what you are already paying, but remember if the Genie ever goes down then every Client goes with it as they cannot work by themselves.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

5 Messages

2 months ago

update, I actually have 6 minis connected to the HR 44 and all working at the same time. Then 2 failed. I sent them back when I got the 2 new replacement units,

I have 4 of them up and running in parallel now But I cannot add the 2 replacement units as the system says I already have 6 running and I must replace one to add one.

I went online to Directv and under my equipment I activated the 2 new units so now under my activated equipment it show the correct 6 minis I have connected now, but two of them do not work as the give me the error. "TOO many units connected" To add a mini please replace a mini... MAKES NO SENSE PLEASE HELP...

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

20.3K Messages

Working at same time means you have a few on the same channel at best (if no error message) as the Genie has only 5 tuners so impossible to have 6 TVs tuned into completely different channels if all you have are Clients.

Unfortunately if the last Client will not authorize you are going to have to call DirecTV and deal with the currently long hold times.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

5 Messages

I reset the HR44 no luck I guess I will be on endless hold forever.....

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

20.3K Messages

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they can get it working. Though I would check to see if you have a free upgrade so you could replace a Mini Genie with an HDDVR. No difference in monthly cost so best to get the most out of what you pay for.

Wish the Genie would not pair with more than 3 Clients, the max that can be used to tune into their own channels, to avoid issues.

• 

5 Messages

I had to call them and sit on hold for hours. But I got a smart tech who worked thru the issues that the Directv installer created for us. Now things are working and thanks for the feedback

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

20.3K Messages

Glad they fixed the issues with getting all Clients recognized.

Though I still highly suggest HDDVRs, or even HD non-DVRs instead of Clients so your system isn't restricted. As you have been functioning ok within the limitations, then I would at least hold off until after Covid-19 so that call centers are up and running with normal staffing before doing an upgrade.

• 

5 Messages

Yes I agree and thanks for the advice.