Things to know before ordering DIRECTV
Odering DIRECTV service? Below are some things to know before and after you order!
Live in an apartment?
If you live in an apartment, your apartment or balcony must be facing the southern sky as the satellites are in that direction. You can use the compass in your smart phone to find south. Having an online map may be handy. Also, any obstructions like buildings and trees may prevent you from getting service. Some apartments may have rules about satellite dishes so we recommend approval prior to ordering and verifying placement of the satellite dish.
Own or rent a home?
If you live in a house, our technicians normally install on the side of the house or near the roof line. Other installation options may vary. There is an option to use an adapter and use your fence as long as it is near the house. Once the dish is installed, DIRECTV will not remove it as it is owned by you. If you are renting or leasing your home, we do recommend contacting the landlord for installation approval. If you have an HOA or need more information, please click here.
Ultimately, it is up to you to determine where the boxes are placed. Our technicians will use wiring in your home to setup your services. In some instances, new wiring has to be placed if the current wiring in your home is not able to support the services. If you home is not wired, our technician will wire your home. Depending on how your home is built will determine how they are able to wire the service and will do their best to conceal it the wiring. If you have another service, please let our technicians know so it is not interrupted. Please be aware that the DVR does require wiring from the wall to the receiver.
Tap into your features!
We recommended having internet service to get the full DIRECTV EXPERIENCE. If you do not have internet, you can check to see if ATT Internet service is available to you. If you have another internet provider, we do offer bundling discounts if you order with us!
Want to take advantage of on-screen caller ID? Make sure there is a working phone line near the box. Don’t have one? You can order service with us! Add link here on how to order service
Once an order is placed:
- If parking is restricted, please make sure the technician will have access to your property. This may involve coordination with apartment management or landlord.
- Have your Wi-Fi information handy for the installer – our technician will set it up.
- Make sure your roof or balcony has easy access for the installer.
- An authorized adult (over 18) must be present.
- Make sure the area you want to place the receiver is free and clear to allow our technician access
- Know which rooms you would like to place the receiver
- Set aside up to 5 five hours for the technician to set up service. Install times can vary.
- If you have any questions, just ask the technician.
If you have any other questions or concerns, post below or search our forums using the search bar above. Our community members post a lot of great answers!
AT&T Customer Care
Need help with an account specific question? Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService