Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Fri, Aug 5, 2011 6:40 PM

Switching from Comcast to DirecTV, wiring questions

Hey all,

Finally I am going for the dish!  I have an install scheduled for 8/13.

We currently have Comcast\Xfinity cable and Xfinity Internet.  I have a few questions:

1) Can DirecTV use the existing CAT 6 Cable (I think) wired throughout my 18 year old house for carrying the signal?

The cable splitter is in the attic at one end of my 2 story house and the location of the dish will be on the opposite

side of the house most likely on a post in the ground.  I have a CAT6 run from the splitter to right where the dish

connection would enter the house so could the dish connect into that cable (through some other hardware I am sure)

to then go to the splitter?

2) We want to keep our Comcast\Xfinity internet service.  Any problems with it also being plugged into the splitter that

will still have the Comcast cable connection for internet connected as well as having DirecTV signalling?  Can it play on the same 

cable nicely?

3) Any idea what DirecTV would charge for the pole mount, digging the hole, filling it with cement, etc?

Thanks for the help!

FG12351

Responses

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

I mean to say Coax Cable, not CAT.  Long day.

peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

9 years ago

I don't think you have cat 6 cable.  that cable was not around 18 years ago.  what you might have is RG6 cable.  if that is the case, and if the cable is "up to snuff"  DTV can re-use those cable.  However, DTV tech would have to run, spending on how nay receiver you are going to order and the king of receivers, either one cable or 4 cables.  these cables would go to a multi switch or a splitter which then would connect to your existing cables.  

If the room where the internet modem router is you plan to have a TV, another cabe would  have to be run to that location because the internet and DTV can not co-exist in the same cable.  that new cable for the DTV receiver in the modem/router location can also be use to feed the cinema connection kit to connect your system to your internet to tale advantage of the free cinema plus content.

the fee for a pole mount when there is line of sight from your roof is around $75.00.  however, if the reason for the pole mount is because you cannot get line of sight form the roof, then the pole mount is free

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks peds48_installs,

You are right, it is RG6, I had a brain blip there!

Sounds good, this may be not as painful as I feared!

peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

9 years ago

do you know what kind, not king ( as my previous post) are you getting? and how many? like HDDVR or HD or even SD receivers

attached is how a DTV system with WHDVR is roughly installed

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

We are getting one HD DVR and one HD receiver.

Whole home DVR service.

DirecTV cinema connection kit.

Not sure about the dish type.

I will be adding another HD receiver when I buy another TV.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the picture that definitely helps me understand!

peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

9 years ago

so you have a very simple set up.  one cable from the  dish to a ground block. then ground block gets bonded to the house ground and from there to the attic.   make sure that the installer connects the power supply to is own leg to the splitter. not inline with any receiver.  also make sure that the installer connects the BB DECA (cinema connection kit) to your router and power before powering ANY receivers.  this will assure a trouble free, Ip conflict free system.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

Awesome, thanks PEDS48!

peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

9 years ago

you are welcome. keep us posted.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

Well the installation went well.

My RG6 splitter where all the home runs go to is in my attic above my garage so I let them mount the dish on the roof of the garage.  It's much lower than the roof of the house and the dish is basically pointing at the house, I was surpised it works but it does.  I have 95% signal.

I don't see where they installed a BB DECA module anywhere per your diagram.  Does this mean the cinema kit won't work?  Can I check this by trying to rent a movie to see if it works?

The SWM power inserter is wired inline from the splitter to my main HD DVR unit.  Is this not good?  He said it has to be on this run because it's the main run???? Or because it's the main DirecTV box?

I still have comcast internet with a wireless router and that still works.

The dish has been working fine, no complaints.  I don't think we have purchased a movie through it but we got a free movie purchase so we will very soon.  I will keep you posted.

Any concerns here?

Thanks,

FG12351

peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

9 years ago

the BB DECA or internet connection kit looks like the picture below.   as fa as the power inserter being inline, if it works DTV probably won't fix it, but is a big plus having it by itself not inline.  as far as the CCK, call DTV back if if as not installed as this should have been provided with  the install.