Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!
whitup

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Fri, Dec 21, 2012 3:23 AM

Snow Covered Dish

Had a snowstorm last night, haven't had reception for over 24 hours now.   I've been told Directv won't come and clear the snow as part of their service.  Is this true?   It's a two story house and I don't have a ladder big enough to get on the roof and even if I did I'm not risking my life to do it.   My question is what do you suggest I do?   Am I just suppose to  wait till spring?

Responses

dcd

Expert

• 

22.6K Messages

7 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by timawhitaker 

Or does anybody else have any other suggestions, 

I live in central New Jersey and we don't usually get much snow.  In the last twelve years I've had to clean my dish maybe four or five times.  I use a 20 ft length of 2" round wooden handrail with an electric heat gun attached.  Takes maybe fifteen minutes to dig out the stuff and tape the gun to the rail, and another ten to clean off the snow.

kaminar

Scholar

• 

472 Messages

7 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by timawhitaker 

Had a snowstorm last night, haven't had reception for over 24 hours now.   I've been told Directv won't come and clear the snow as part of their service.  Is this true?   It's a two story house and I don't have a ladder big enough to get on the roof and even if I did I'm not risking my life to do it.   My question is what do you suggest I do?   Am I just suppose to  wait till spring?

DirecTV installs the satellite dish, and then it's your property. Like all other service companies, DTV handles their end, which is the functionality of the equipment. Some people use a dish warmer, others use a hose with warm water or a super soaker..i found someone who covers the lmb with a giant ziploc bag (10-20 gallon size, available on Amazon). You live in a place where you get wet snow..this does happen from time to time..hire a local kid to do it for a few dollars. I will refrain from sarcasm.

Good luck!

-=K=-

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Old post I know but I have the very same problem. I live in northern MN. I haven't had service for OVER a week now because they refuse to fix it! This is MAJOR BS!!! They sold it to me, THEY installed it, and now THEY won't fix it! WORST customer service EVER!

shannon01

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

6 years ago

Sorry to hear but the dish and wiring became yours to maintain after the install and as the previously posts stated there are heaters or the supper soaker method.

dcd

Expert

• 

22.6K Messages

6 years ago

And please, next time start a fresh thread.  This one came up on the screen and everyone has to wade through pages of complaints to get to your complaint.

carl6

Professor

• 

2.3K Messages

6 years ago

For northern MN I would certainly invest in a dish heater. However, until such time as you get one (if you do), the suggestions earlier in this thread are your best bet. Get a super soaker, or even a garden hose you can connect to an inside water tap where you can mix hot/cold to get warm, and a nozzle, and use that to clear the dish.  If you can access the dish with a long stick/handle, you may be able to scrape/brush enough off to solve the problem. Just be careful not to move the dish while trying.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I found a roof rake  worked to get the snow off the dish, which restored the satellite.  I realize that this will not work for people who's dish is really high on the roof, but I thought it might help a few other people. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Make a small, light snowball and lob it at the dish.  Just enough strength to knock the snow off.  Worked for me.  Dish on roof and couldn't get to it.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

A little trick I learned by trial and error is rainx.  The kind you can get at any auto parts store.  Clean the dish first and apply a liberal coat on the stuff.  Unfortunately, it needs to be done early in the fall.  Not much help after its iced up.  But a super soaker or a garden hose does work very well if you can reach it.  Check Solidsignal.com. They sell dish heater for Directv dishes.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

What do i do ? No reception
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.2K Messages

4 years ago

@1335friend wrote:
What do i do ? No reception

@1335friend,

Review the posts in this thread.  There are ways to melt the snow/ice off of your dish.  Or wait until it melts enough on its own.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
buckeyegoose

Scholar

• 

186 Messages

4 years ago

No, more like you did not properly research about satellite TV. This has been a issue in the snow belt for decades, a simple google search for DirecTV + Snow brings up tons of complaints like this.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Dish heaters are over $100 and require you to run power to the dish. Better solution... DishArmor.com It's this snow resistant plastic sort of fabric the covers the front of the dish. Works awesome!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I have DirectTv and we had the first wet snow yesterday and no signal for almost 24 hours now. They did refuse to come out and clean it off which I find amusing since they put the dish way out of the reach of anything but a bird (satellite dish was already there when we moved here) So I had to schedule a relocation of the satellite dish. Isn’t that funny, they will have to come out and deal with the weather anyways...

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

19.9K Messages

2 years ago

It is not the weather so much, it is that you own the dish to clean snow off of and maintain and DTV will not remove the old dish.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.