Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
rickalo

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

Thu, Nov 26, 2020 10:13 PM

Picture quality suddenly went bad on one TV in our house

We have 3 tvs connected to DirectTV. On on a main DVR receiver, and the other two on mini receivers. Today, the picture quality on one of the tvs with a mini receiver went bad. It now looks like the brightness is gone, and all you can see is dark, color shadows of the image.

To diagnose, I did the following:

1. Reset the mini receiver box; picture quality is still bad
  2. Reset the main receiver box; picture quality is still bad
  3. Swapped the HDMI cable with a new one; picture quality is still bad
  4. Moved the HDMI cable to a different input port on the tv; picture quality is still bad
  5. Swapped mini receiver box with the other one in our house (it was working fine); picture quality is still bad
  6. Disconnected/reconnected coax cable (that runs outside from the room with the TV problem) at the DirectTV splitter outside the house; picture quality is still bad
  7. Checked the Netflix app on the Roku tv, and it has the same poor picture quality

So, it seems like either the splitter is having issues, or the cable to the room with the problem tv is faulty.

Any other things I can try before scheduling a service call?

Responses

Accepted Solution

rickalo

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

2 months ago

I shut off DirectTV Recever and TV for 30 minutes. I turned everything back on and everything is working again... Don't understand what appended. 

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

17K Messages

2 months ago

if the netflix app has the same issue, it's a tv problem.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

17K Messages

2 months ago

directv can't affect netflix so it  had to be the tv

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
nabukl

ACE - Professor

• 

3.8K Messages

2 months ago

@TexasBrit my thoughts exactly,  unplugging the TV reset the tv. It wasn't a receiver/client at all.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

25K Messages

2 months ago

DirecTV and Netflix have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Since the Netflix app is on the TV, as opposed to a media streaming device (Firestick, Apple TV, Roku box, etc.) through a HDMI splitter (not suggested), then the TV itself is the issue.

Also the Mini Genie is a Client, not a receiver. Client has no tuners or recording space of its own, so steals everything from the Genie. Suggested to upgrade a Client to an HDDVR receiver so you gain 2 tuners and 500GB recording space. No difference in monthly cost as you are paying for the authorized TV itself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
nabukl

ACE - Professor

• 

3.8K Messages

2 months ago

@rickalo the issue was your TV not the DirecTV box 

Get started...

Ask a new question