Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
M

• 

2 Messages

Sun, Jan 5, 2020 1:35 PM

Ms

After ordering DirecTV from Costco, an installer from Costco arrived and "set me up" literally for a $99.14 service visit from you. After weeks of dissatisfied picture your service finally sent a representative. I had no idea this was a $100.00 visit. I was told it would be no charge. The repair person was informed and knew his stuff and told me issues such as mine often occurred with "outside retailers" and their installers of your product. I was a DirecTV customer several years ago and according to the repair person with DirecTV the wiring outside was cracked and bare in some locations. The Costco guy just used it. He had to rewire from the dish. So this is my fault. Your authorized salespeople should have done a thorough job and not connected a time bomb to my wallet. Another prime example of the end on cable and satellite TV.

Responses

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.7K Messages

10 months ago

The person in Costco is a third party reseller (probably did not even work for Costco) and it was their job to do the install correctly. So why did you not get the problem fixed inside their warranty period?

Directv's service call charge is $99. They did not do the install, so are not liable to fix the problem free of charge. You should go after Costco on this one.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

@mraney

Sellers in Costco do not work for DirecTV, but a 3rd party (Smart Circle) that sends new orders to other companies.

DirecTV service calls are $99. Traditionally they have a 90 day coverage on work done (install, upgrade, etc.), so if within that time the service call should have been covered. However if the 3rd party arranged the install themselves, as opposed to that portion going through DirecTV, then it may not be covered.

I would also read the order confirmation that DirecTV directly sent you after you ordered in Costco. If needed call and get it resent. Just in case the actual order has any differences from what the 3rd party "promised".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

In answer to your first question, a heart attack. Constant calls said I've checked your service, you should be alright. I wasn't.

DirecTV should not associate with carless 3rd parties and should back and when this occurs they should "go after" the negligent party.

Thank you for your assistance, but I'm suspicious, as responding "achievers" you seem to have a company supportive motive. Can you help me get out of this community forum? I feel hostility. So.... why did I have a heart attack??? Is that the next question?

Have a happy new year everyone. I'm out.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

9 months ago

Sorry to hear about your heart, hope you are doing better now. I don't believe the question was intended with hostility, just a normal reactive question based on what you had shared at that point.

Unfortunately many businesses work with 3rd parties to extend their exposure to potential customers. Because of situations like this, I choose to deal with companies directly when I can. If a seller is in another store (Costco, Wal-Mart, etc.), then usually that is 3rd party.

DirecTV covers the work they do and what is on the official order. If there are any issues with extra promises or damage from a 3rd party, then you dispute with the 3rd party directly. I agree it would be nice to have a process through DirecTV, but like other businesses they do not have a group of agents dedicated to being a go-between for the customer and 3rd party.

I certainly don't have a "company supportive motive", and I doubt TexasBrit does either from what I've seen. This is a public forum of other customers. Some of us have dealt with the service for so long we understand the reality of how it works, even if it is not always the exact way we want it to.

As for getting out of the community forum, you can click your profile picture at the top and sign out. If you mean deactivating your forum account, go into profile settings, account information tab, and at the bottom underneath the change password boxes there is a "deactivate" option.

I still suggest making sure you have DirecTV's order confirmation for reference. And if you haven't done so, read through the monthly bill. Want to make sure you don't get any surprises down the road.

ganto2014

Scholar

• 

307 Messages

this is where it is good to have the protection plan it covers everything from remotes to no charge for tech calls!!! i read that some service calls can get quite exspensive to!!! though it won't cover things like fishing cable through a wall or trenching cable if need be... i had some problems with my system and DTV covered it free with in the 90 install warranty.. and i was told that if a tech comes out and fixes something that 90 days starts over again!!!! how true the last part is i dunno...

(edited)

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

@ganto2014

Protection plan being worth it is questionable.

Protection plan is $8.99 a month which comes out to $107.88 a year. This is an ongoing charge whether you use it or not.

Without the protection plan, service calls are $99, remotes $15, and just delivery of replacement boxes is $19.95. Installs and service calls have a 90 day coverage on the work done (if you have a service call for one issue and than you have a different issue later that of course wouldn't be covered under the 90 days as it is not for the same problem).

The plan claims a free upgrade every 2 years. But this only means you get an exact date on when you qualify. Not a guarantee that at that point an upgrade actually exists to your current setup. Without the protection plan you still get free upgrades, usually qualified around the 2 year mark since install (or last free upgrade).

Personally if you need to use the protection plan often enough to make it cheaper in the long run vs the one-time costs, then something is wrong. I understand for some people it helps with budgeting as it is a guaranteed small cost already planned for in the bill, even though over time they are paying more.

So it is cheaper paying for costs as needed, if you are comfortable managing your finances to always have spare funds for anything that might come up.

Get started...

Ask a new question