Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Thu, Jul 2, 2020 5:14 PM

HR54 best way to get?

Trying to upgrade my HR44 to a 54 for 4k content.  What is the best way to get an HR54?  Ideally i would prefer to not have a tech in the house due to Covid.  

Thanks

Responses

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.7K Messages

a month ago

What are the models of all your boxes? This matters since 4K doesn't work directly through the Genie receiver itself. Though HR34, HR44, HR54 are all considered like for like (not an upgrade), a 4K upgrade would include swapping your Genie for the newer model to be compatible for the setup.

Here are the 4K requirements for reference:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60 FPS

DirecTV Installation, 4K tv must be there (cannot be self-install)

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only a couple channels in 4K (plus a few PPVs).

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

I have 5 boxes- HR44, C61K (the orginal C31 died), C31, HR24, HR21.

4K TV (LG OLED 65E9) hooked up to the C61.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.7K Messages

I'm assuming you meant C61 as the C61K is only for a 4K install. Based on those 5 boxes, you have 2 upgrades to consider.

1. Upgrade to 4K. Replace the older Client (C31) so you keep the newest models. The tech would on site swap the HR44 to the HR54 as it is needed. Recordings do not transfer from the replaced HR44, so suggested to be caught up first.

2. Upgrade C31 to HDDVR. Gain 2 tuners and 500GB recording space like your other HR24.

Upgrades come with a 24 month service agreement. Neither option increases your bill as using what services you already have. Just depends on if the couple 4K channels or more tuners and recording space is more worth it for you.

I would also be caught up on the recordings of your older HDDVR (HR21), just in case. That way you are prepared if you need to warranty replace it down the road. And it would net you a HR24 as that is the last non-Genie DVR in stock which has more recording space (HR21 and earlier had 320GB).

As a caution, if offered the Genie-2 (HS17), do not accept it. It would be a downgrade to your setup. It forbids HDDVRs, so is hard capped at 7 tuners (you currently have 9 with potential for more with HDDVRs), and would lose the recordings from every box as they are replaced.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question