Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sun, Sep 29, 2019 3:08 AM

Drilling holes and having a dish

My landlord does not allow wall getting drilled into or a dish in the roof. Do you have to drill holes? Can you put the dish on the ground? 

Responses

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.2K Messages

8 months ago

@Paige2017 wrote:

My landlord does not allow wall getting drilled into or a dish in the roof. Do you have to drill holes? Can you put the dish on the ground? 

The dish can be installed on pole or a "sled mount" on a deck or balcony. 

Not drilling hole in the wall for cables can be trickier, though. There are "flat cable" connectors that can thread through a door or window, but most installers won't have those. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
davemize

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 months ago

Adding to the comment by @litzdog911 , when you place an order for service, add an installation note regarding "no holes allowed, sled and flat cables needed". That might help ensure that the tech is ready for your job.

"Don't make me summon the flying monkeys...."

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

19.9K Messages

8 months ago

DTV doesn't usually carry the flat coax connectors so you could buy some as they tend to break easily.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 months ago

When I had service installed in the apartment I used to live (this was back in 2011), they had a flat cable to go with the sliding door. I had the dish mounted on a pole with brackets attached to the balcony to hold the dish, very clean service and when I moved out years after and had to take it all down no damage was done, landlord was happy. 

davemize

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 months ago

I installed several such with minimal issues. Some had patios, which could hold a sled with the dish, some had balconies with rails that I could attach a short pole to using brackets. Some allowed holes through the walls for cables, while a few didn't, requiring flat cables; I soon started carrying the flat cables on my truck. BTW, try to run those cables in an area where they aren't being flexed repeatedly, or having doors/windows slammed on them.

"Don't make me summon the flying monkeys...."