Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Fri, Feb 2, 2018 2:56 AM

Dish installed on roof of rental without home owners permission

I contacted direct tv and they told me they dont install without homeowners permission. Then i asked whom filled out the form to give permission and got the run around. They say they cant look up the info by address.. i want to know who signed the form or forged my name..

Responses

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.9K Messages

2 years ago

Well, most likely your renter signed off on the installation.  Did you talk to them?  The tech complete the job without someone signing off on it. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
ganto2014

Scholar

• 

305 Messages

half of the time the installers don't even ask for the permission form to install in an apt or HOA!!!

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

It is up to the tenant to get permission from the property owner and they are responsible for any damages not DTV.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tour_Guy_Bob

Scholar

• 

243 Messages

2 years ago

@User3864503

In these situation, the renter tends to tell DTV they own the home, or the tech is under that assumption. They don't know what they don't know / aren't informed of. In this case you need to get in contact with your tenant and have them file a damage claim on your behalf.

ganto2014

Scholar

• 

305 Messages

@Tour_Guy_Bob i agree with you. but when i had mine installed the installer saw 20 more dishes on the roof and just went for it!!!

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.4K Messages

2 years ago

The tech has no way of knowing who actually owns the home. They might even live in a different state. He has to take the word of whoever placed the order.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

a year ago

Mine is an apartment rental and its clear that its not a home and a installer still went on my roof with big bolts and installed this ugly thing without my permission.

What right do I have as a homeowner?? Directv will not tell me who installed only that's it was a 3rd party and they also won't tell me who signed off on it not give

me a copy.

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

a year ago

Well standard installs won't allow installs on to metal roofs. You might want to file a damage claim to get the dish removed and the roof fixed. If directv got the required signatures then your renter might be responsible for said damage. I would request that the renter request copies of the work order because if they signed off on the work, then directv wouldn't hold fault in that situation. 

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

a year ago

If the metal roof is flat they can install a sled mount.

You own the dish so you can remove it but leave the mounting plate attached to the roof to prevent leaks.

• 

1 Message

2 months ago

Same thing at my end. We will see what the Better Business Bureau can do. I am a 55 year old disabled veteran working as a high school teacher and AT&T is telling me to take the unauthorized dish down MYSELF!!! Not good business. They put it up, they can take it down. Tenant REFUSES to tell AT&T to take it down as they know they will be charged. So now AT&T wants me to pay for an unauthorized installation? If BBB cannot get this corrected we will see what happens in small claims court. All in all as a teacher and retired veteran I have a long reach and will make it well known how unethical AT&T is.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

18.5K Messages

DirecTV never removes the dish themselves. Upon install the dish becomes part of the property. So they cannot take it down.

The owner of DirecTV account takes responsibility that they have permission from the homeowner for how the install is done. Any issues are between the tenant and homeowner.

This answer has not changed since DirecTV started in 1994.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
ganto2014

Scholar

• 

305 Messages

@John_Wood65 att customer service is useless there stupid and very uninformed. it takes em 4 hours to get things done then it's still (edited per community guidelines)..

id'e make the tennant pay to take the dish down and do repairs to your building or evict them.. then get a judgment on them for you to get paid back. while we can't restrict people from having satellite dishes. but under the fcc laws you can tell them where you want them put i like picking a spot that they can't get the signal. everytime there promo's run out there switching providers to get the deals. i have tenants go from cable to directv to dish and back same with cable they will switch internet providers to get the deals as well drives me nuts. and evertime and installer visits theres more holes in the joint. i have directv and dish cables going through the local cable co's cabling ect ect.

(edited)

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…