Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
O

• 

3 Messages

Thu, Jul 30, 2020 12:34 AM

Connect Internet to DircTv Boxes Via Wifi

I recently got new internet service in my home. (AT&T Fiber)  I'm attempting to connect the internet to my DirecTv boxes but receive the message that I can't do it from that certain box.  I understand that I need to do it from my main box.  The problem I'm having is that I can't get the main box to respond to any of my remotes.  My main box is hooked up to a wireless client, which then sends its TV signal to a wireless Genie.  

I called DirecTv and they're sending me a new remote.  I don't feel as if that is the problem.  I can program all of my remotes to work on my Genies, I'm just having trouble getting it to communicate with my main box.

If I remember correctly, the tech that initially set up my boxes set up the main box first and then worked his way through the wireless boxes.  I may need to do something like that, but don't know where to start.  The DirecTv tech I got on the phone tonight wasn't really understanding the issue that I was having.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Responses

nabukl

ACE - Professor

• 

3.6K Messages

2 months ago

It's more than likely a genie remote since you're describing a genie system.

On the remote press and hold mute and ENTER,  not select but ENTER  until you get a message that your remote is setup for RF.  ENTER is under the number 9

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22.8K Messages

2 months ago

If setting the remote in Radio Frequency (RF) mode doesn't fix it, then provide some more details.

What are the exact models of each box you have?

Which one have you been trying to put in the info for the new router?

What happens when you try to connect (symptoms, exact error msg, etc.).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

2 months ago

nabukl,

Under the direction of the DirecTv phone technician, I attempted your fix yesterday with no luck.

Juniper,

Here are some further details on my setup:

The coaxial cable carrying the DirecTv signal comes out of the wall and into my Wireless Video Bridge (WVB2R0-34).  Out of the video bridge and into the main DirectTv box (HR54-200) satellite in.  As info, these two pieces of equipment are less than two feet apart.

The video bridge shoots the signal to the box (C41W-100) that's by my TV, which is less than six feet away.

I have two remotes, both of them the small ones, RC73.

When I navigate to Reconnect to Internet on the box that's by my TV (C41W-100), I receive the message:  You cannot make changes to Internet Setup from this location."  I understand that part, the need for the change to be made on the main box (HR54-200).

The problem I'm having is getting to any sort of menu/settings screen when I'm using the main box remote on the main box.  I've changed batteries, they're all new.  The DirecTv tech had me hold down mute and select until I saw two green lights flash, then he had me input a number (I want to say 960, but not sure?) until the green light flashed four times.  We tried that using both remotes, with no luck.

As I stated in the original post, they're sending me a new remote, but since I can get both remotes to work on the smaller boxes by the TV's, I don't think my remotes are faulty.

Also, this is probably not important, but when I point the remote towards the video bridge and hold down info, it displays information for the box that's by my TV(C41W-100).  That may be what it's suppose to do, just thought I'd add the info.

One last thing, I mentioned I now have AT&T fiber in the house.  I do have a hot CAT-5 outlet right next to where the DirecTv coaxial is coming in at the wall.  If you have a suggestion pertaining to me "hardwiring" the internet signal to either the main box, or the video bridge, I'm up for that as well.

Thanks again for the help.

nabukl

ACE - Professor

• 

3.6K Messages

2 months ago

The DirecTv tech had me hold down mute and select until I saw two green lights flash, then he had me input a number 

As I noted in my reply,  that's NOT the correct procedure for a genie remote. You have to press mute and ENTER not mute and select.

• 

3 Messages

2 months ago

nabukl,

I believe the DirecTv tech may have had me try that as well yesterday.  Just to be sure, I went ahead and tried it today with no luck. 

I pressed mute and enter at the same time.  A green light flashed once, then paused, and flashed green several more times.  No message appeared on my TV screen, and when I selected menu or guide at that point, still nothing.

Thanks for the reply though.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22.8K Messages

2 months ago

The Genie (HR54 is the 3rd generation) serves the internet connection for the entire setup. It is also the receiver the pulls in DirecTV service, as Mini Genies (models starting with 'C') are Clients of the Genie and cannot work by themselves.

Instead of reconnect internet, the settings need to be cleared. Otherwise it is trying to use the old information. Menu > Settings > Internet > Advanced and reset the network defaults. Once done I would exit the menu and do a red button reset on the Genie to be on the safe side. Then go into the Genie's menu and you should be able to connect to internet fresh.

If that doesn't let you connect to internet, or not even responding to the remote in the first place, try unplugging power from the Genie for a minute. This usually clears anything stuck in memory. Be aware that this clears the guide data, which is fully downloaded again within 24 hours.

The wireless video bridge (WVB) is only for connecting any wireless models of Clients (C41W or C61W, hence the 'W') to the coax so they can communicate with the Genie. It is not for connecting anything else, not even the DirecTV remote. The remote connects to the Client by RF, which means it controls it while in range as opposed to IR which is line of sight.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*

Get started...

Ask a new question