Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
Danielkep

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

Mon, May 7, 2018 4:37 PM

Camping RV help please!! SD channels ending?!

I’ve read rumors online that DirecTV announced they would cease carrying all SD channels in 2019 (8 months away). My family has an RV that is constantly used for camping trips all over. My family has DirecTV at home and wants DirecTV in the RV. They do not really care if it is in SD as long as they can watch. The Winegard TRAV’LER (for RV’s) is over 50 pounds, has to be professionally installed, and it costs over $1,500. They would much prefer to use a product by King Connect called the Quest Pro. The Quest Pro is $550, so it’s much cheaper, it’s extremely lightweight, does not require professional installation, and it automatically aligns the dish wherever you set it. However, the Quest Pro can only receive signals from the 101° satellite and it states you only get SD channels. What is our best option?  Is it true that products for RV’s like the Quest Pro that only get SD channels will stop working in 8 months?  What are we supposed to do to get DirecTV in the RV?  The DirecTV app is not a viable option, because cell phone reception at several of these campgrounds is very limited at times.  Thanks.

Responses

Employee

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Whats going away is mpeg2 support which is the video compresion codec used by sd only receivers. You will have to get an mpeg4 or hd receiver h20-h24, or h25 if your swm capable in order to keep getting programing. If you think about it a broadcast satellite is just a repeater. It doesn't decode signals  such mpe4 it just receives a terrestrial signal and sends it back down to earth with a radio kown by satellite aficionados as a transponder.Since mpeg2 uses much more bandwith than mpeg4 the 101 and 119 ku satellites  are easily reporpoused  for mpeg4. Your old dish even if its a tripod mounted round18 will still get programing as long as you get an mpeg4  hd box. Now wether you get true  "free" HD just because you have an hd capable receiver or a down converted video signal remains to be seen.Your mpeg2 box will probably say771. One problem you may have is if you have an In Motion KVH tracking dish and it requires an M10 receiver to operate. The M10 as I read has some type of feedback loop which is part of the self tracking KVH system. M10 uses mpeg2 codec. If this is the case then KVH will have to come up with a sat box or fix that will address the Mpeg4 requirement necessary to keep receiving directv programng. I would call KVH for more info. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.4K Messages

2 years ago

@mikexray wrote:

.... Your old dish even if its a tripod mounted round18 will still get programming as long as you get an hd box. ..... 

Good points. But a dish that can only receive the 101º satellite won't receive all of the channels in your subscription package. That's because many channels are or will be beamed from the 99 and 103º satellites, which that dish cannot receive. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

I just found this forum. So it's end of September 2019. What should I get for Direct TV satellite antena and receiver with DVR so that I can still get all channels now and not obsolete in 2-3 months? Thanks.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

24.9K Messages

a year ago

@lovetoknow wrote:

I just found this forum. So it's end of September 2019. What should I get for Direct TV satellite antena and receiver with DVR so that I can still get all channels now and not obsolete in 2-3 months? Thanks.

If it is outdated equipment, you call DirecTV for their MPEG swap. If in an RV, like this thread is about, then you go through a 3rd party RV installer.

What models are each of your boxes?

What dish do you currently have?

If you are talking about an RV are any of the boxes in it also used in the home?

An RV would need the Winegard Trav'lers dish, or a regular home slimline dish on a tripod/sled mount that you aim yourself. Boxes in general must have model starting with H to be MPEG-4 as most prior non-H boxes are MPEG-2 only (exception, the old R22 is MPEG-4 in certain setups)..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

Thank you for your quick response! We just subscribed and signed a 2yr
contract so that we can use Direct TV at our new RV. So we have not bought
any equipment for the RV waiting to clear up the confusion. The home has
the large dish like the Trav'ler and genie receiver. The installation tech
told me that it won't work with the RV antenna. According to your reply,
there is no Dome type of satellite antenna that can work with Directv. So
the Carryout G3 won't work? Our friend has the Wineguard T2 and they still
have Direct TV. Thanks.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

24.9K Messages

a year ago

@lovetoknow 

DirecTV started shutting down the old MPEG-2 (SD only) feeds beginning April 2019. So your friend with the older setup will need to update it in the near future as the shutdown is rolling out across the country.

The Genie can work in an RV setup, but suggested a HDDVR or HD non-DVR is taken as usually a little easier to move then the Genie. Plus any Clients cannot work without the main box.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
gaserv

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

a year ago

There are ways to make a Carryout or any of the portables work with any DirecTV equipment, you can go online and download the manuals to see what added equipment you will need to use the equipment you’re wanting to use. Keep in mind, a dome style dish will not provide HD picture quality. The common receiver we use in RV’s now is the H24, mainly because it will work with all style dishes. As someone suggested, find a knowledgeable local provider to help you out. Chances of getting an intelligent answer from AT&T customer service is slim
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.4K Messages

a year ago

@gaserv wrote:
There are ways to make a Carryout or any of the portables work with any DirecTV equipment, you can go online and download the manuals to see what added equipment you will need to use the equipment you’re wanting to use. Keep in mind, a dome style dish will not provide HD picture quality. The common receiver we use in RV’s now is the H24, mainly because it will work with all style dishes. As someone suggested, find a knowledgeable local provider to help you out. Chances of getting an intelligent answer from AT&T customer service is slim

Sorry, not true. You're H24 with an old dish might work for a few more months. But it won't receive any stations after DirecTV kills their SD/MPEG2 channels during 2019. You'll need to upgrade to a Winegard Trav'ler or DirecTV Slimline HD dish. 

gaserv

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

a year ago

Your response is not accurate, the 101 orbital slot that is used for SD MPEG 2 broadcast will drop the MPEG 2 data stream, but will continue broadcasting an MPEG 4 data stream. DirecTV standard definition receivers are not capable of receiving MPEG 4 data, that is why D12 boxes and earlier will no longer work. You are definitely safe with a H24 purchase, can’t be totally sure the extent of programming from the KU 101 orbital slot, but I suspect it will still be very substantial. Only time will tell for sure
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.4K Messages

a year ago

@gaserv wrote:
..., can’t be totally sure the extent of programming from the KU 101 orbital slot, but I suspect it will still be very substantial. Only time will tell for sure

That's the issue right there. While an HD box connected to an old 101ºW old dish might receive some channels, you won't know what you will and won't get. That will be very frustrating. 

gaserv

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

a year ago

Also, MPEG 4 is much more efficient in its compression, so if 4 can compress HD fairly close to what 2 compressed SD, I suspect HD capacity on 101 will be at least 75% of MPEG 2 SD compression
mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

9K Messages

a year ago

its closer to 50%  hd is larger to start with

and its not just mpeg2/mpeg4

the smaller round dish will most likely not work either

sd is almost all ku band, newer sats are ka band

you will need a larger dish, physics and all

theres a reason directv has not installed a round dish in years

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
gaserv

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

a year ago

An 18” dish would successfully pick up all orbital slots of Directv individually with a proper frequency lnbf, the reason for the large slimline dish is so it can receive 5 orbital slots at the same time with a SL5 lnbf. The current satellites parked in the 101 orbital slot are KU satellites and all the current model portable auto dishes designed for DirecTV reception will continue to do so like today, what will change is the way the data is transmitted from that slot, so as long as you have a MPEG 4 capable receiver, you will be able to view the content they decide to broadcast from that slot. I suspect a large percentage of core programming will come from the 101 slot. The KU technology is less susceptible to rain fade than the KA satellites parked at 99 and 103 because KU is a lower frequency.
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.4K Messages

a year ago

@gaserv wrote:
.... I suspect a large percentage of core programming will come from the 101 slot. ...

You may "suspect" that, but nobody really knows yet. In order to receive all of your subscribed channels, you must have an HD-capable dish.  End of discussion.

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.9K Messages

a year ago

gaserv and litzdog are both correct. Directv has said a selection of "popular" channels will be available from the satellite in the 101 slot. But no-one knows what that will be. If the channels you want are not in the selection, you are SOL in terms of receiving them from your 101 dish. To get them you will need to follow litzdog's advice and get a slimline dish capable of receiving the satellites in the 99 and 103 slots. 

Get started...

Ask a new question