Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
J

• 

6 Messages

Thu, Jul 2, 2020 1:11 AM

4K - GETTING NO HELP

I've been on the phone for ONE HOUR trying to get an answer to a simple questions. I have a Genie H54 box. I have a 4K DirecTV supported TV - it's on the list of supported TVs - and I can't tune into a 4K channel.

Called - on hold for 10 min - then the call disconnects. Call back - on hold for 15 min - the the call disconnects. 

Call again. I eventually get someone after a short hold. They can't help me. Routed me to tech support. They pick up the call and they can't help either. This is the ridiculous reason offered - I am a legacy account so they have to transfer me to someone. My 'reward' for being a customer all these years results in me not getting help.

After transferring me, same thing. This individual can't help either. They then tell me they have to route to tech support. After one hour I simply couldn't stay on the line anymore.

And by the way, ever single time I got passed to a new person, I had to go through the same litany of questions - what's my phone #, what's my passcode, what's my name, what's my address. And one of them wanted to know if I was a UVERSE customer - just so sad.

Geez ATT, you really ran DirecTV service into the ground.

AND I STILL HAVE A PROBLEM.

Responses

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

a month ago

An RVU TV has to be installed by DTV but then you are dependent on the TV maker to provide the updates and they are known to be slow in updating or even stopping after a couple of years, the HR54 can't output 4K over HDMI you have to have a C61K mini connected to the 4K TV.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

6 Messages

That's not what the DirecTV site says. They specifically list the model I have as supported. The last individual I spoke to validated that. The installer who deployed the H54 box also said the same thing. You are not supposed to need the C61K mini unless the TV is not supported by DirecTV.

If you are right, then the DirecTV site, installer and individual I spoke to are all wrong. 

This shouldn't be so hard. I'm losing patience with DirecTV.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

Yes, once DTV installs a DTV supported RVU TV you don't need a C61K mini but most people go back to having a C61K mini as there are reports that the RVU are slower.  Any  one says the HR54 outputs 4K over the HDMI are wrong.

(edited)

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

6 Messages

@shannon02 I did more digging and you are right. So I have a Sony 4k TV which I think is a 2016 model. You have to run a DIRECTV READY app to get a DIRECTV supported TV to support 4K. But that means that it's the TV brand providing the hookup to DIRECTV. If there are changes made by DirecTV, who knows how fast the TV brand gets around to providing an update. Also saw several posts that talk about this being slow (going back 2 or 3 years). 

So the installer should have given me a C61K mini. 

I called DIRECTV today to swap out an existing mini for a C61K. They told me that's a $99 charge. They really don't make this easy do they.

Cstarman922

Employee

• 

588 Messages

a month ago

Do you only have the HR54? The HR54 cannot output 4k content itself, a 4k client (model C61K) is required. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

6 Messages

Not what the DirecTV site, nor installer nor individual I spoke to said to me. I even asked several times if I needed a different mini - No was the answer.

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.6K Messages

If you have an RVU TV you didn't need a genie mini, the capability was built into the TV. But this idea never took off, there weren't enough 4K customers to make the development worthwhile. You did need activation by Directv though. I'm not sure Directv still offers this, See this article https://blog.solidsignal.com/tutorials/can-you-still-activate-an-rvu-tv/

So you need a C61K client to get 4K

• 

6 Messages

@Cstarman922  You are right unless you run a DirecTV Ready app on your TV assuming there is one. But that can be slow - saw posts about this - and who knows about long term support.

So called today to swap out my existing mini for a C61K and they told me that requires a $99 charge. They have to charge you for something you have to pay for every month anyway? Sometimes wonder how DirecTV stays competitive with other providers. They don't that.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

a month ago

Right, as that is the up front lease fee for minis unless you have a free upgrade.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

a month ago

@jakesobe 

Unfortunately the website doesn't clearly list how the 4K setup works, and too many agents are giving incomplete or inaccurate info on it. Here are the correct requirements.

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60 FPS

DirecTV Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only a couple channels in 4K (plus a few PPVs)

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

What are the models of every box you have now? That way it can be clear if you are sacrificing anything to get 4K or if there may be an alternative upgrade to consider.

(edited)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

Some TVs are known as DirecTV Ready which have an RVU Client built-in. It serves the purpose like the C61K, but tends to be slower. Plus it is completely reliant on the TV maker for updates, which they are known to be slow to do so. And if anything makes it incompatible, you would need to get a Mini Genie Client anyway.

So since there is no monthly cost difference between C61K and RVU (you pay $7 monthly for the authorized TV either was as normal), the Mini Genie is preferred for the setup. The Mini Genie only has a one-time lease cost of $99 if you don't have a free upgrade yet.

Personally, with the limited 4K content, I would suggest having an HDDVR on the TV instead of the 4K Client. Get 2 tuners and 500GB recording space that way.

• 

6 Messages

Thanks. Lots of good info. 

Yeah, I knew that there was limited 4K content on DirecTV. I started down this road because the HR44 box I had experienced a hard drive problem. That on its own was surprising because this HR44 was only installed 2 years ago. I figured, as long as I'm having to change out the HR44, might as well get the box that's 4K capable - the HR54. 

I'll wait until I have a free upgrade. It's not worth, given the limited 4K content, to pay the $99 leasing fee per mini. 

It's just so frustrating. The installer insisted that I didn't need to swap out any minis so this individual doesn't understand the product. Forget the call center reps - I could not believe how many times I was bounced around just in one call and still no one knew what had to be done.

Really appreciate the info. Thx

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

When you do have a free upgrade, that normally only covers one Client. The only exception is when you go to your first Genie. (HR44 to HR54 covered swap of course for a 4K specific upgrade).

If you need to replace the HR44 before the upgrade, a warranty replacement is $19.95 delivery. That would get either an HR44 or HR54 depending on stock. Would have been nice to get more than 2 years for a hard drive, but that is why warranties exist.

Knowledge of products and services has gone down, as agents who came over from the AT&T side need better training on the differences of DirecTV. Plus with all the call centers shut down recently for Covid-19, I believe they are using more outsourcing on top of that. I will be glad when they get back to normal staffing levels and can focus more on training all these new agents.

Get started...

Ask a new question