Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Sun, Oct 19, 2014 7:23 PM

Your TV does not support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program. This happens on every channel. Just started happening today.

I'm running a Genie HR44 with two mini-genie's.  Everything was installed last week and worked perfectly until today.  My bedroom TV will now show picture for 10 seconds before giving this error message.  It does this for every channel, not just premiums.  I understand that older TV's don't have HDCP, and this particular TV is 8 years old. But why would it work for 8 days and then start to do this?  Customer support advised me to order a component cable that plugs into the 10-pin jack in the mini-genie, but dang it, I like my one-cord HDMI and don't really want to replace it with FIVE cables.  I'm also without TV in the bedroom until FedEx delivers this part in hopefully three days.  Is this really a HDCP issue?  On every channel?  Is there any workaround that will allow me to keep my HDMI?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.8K Messages

6 years ago

Yes, it's an HDCP issue.  You got good advice from customer support.   You'll either need to use Component Video cables with that bedroom TV, or get a newer TV that supports HDCP.   Welcome to the crappy world of HDMI copy protection.

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

I have 5 TVs, one over 10 years old, 3 others, a couple years old & one I bought in 2019.
These have all been working fine for as long as I've had them up until the new year and now only the newest one has this issue. I can restart the the Genie mini and sometimes that will resolve the issue for a few minutes to a few hours.
This doesn't make any sense given the explanation provided here.
Anyone have anything further on this? Was there a change by ATT 1/1/20? And why would the newest TV alone have the issue?
In addition, there are two Vizio's, one older & my new one that are practically the same model other than the year of purchase. And all are HDMI connected via the same Genie model.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

OK, but if it is truly HDCP, why would it work just fine for over a week?

peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

6 years ago

Perhaps the receiver was running older software….

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

coxdds... your Directv receiver software may have been updated like mine. Now I am getting this error message, yet nothing has changed in my home theater setup except I know the Directv receiver updated its software. I think this is a bug in the latest version of their firmware/software.

In my situation, I get the content protection error on every channel. Then my TV image goes black every 4-6 seconds, then re-appears, then goes black, etc... In some cases if I turn on the Directv receiver then don't change the channel the image will be fine and no error about content protection.

I know this is not my HDMI cables as I have high-end cables that already support HDCP. My first guess is Directv software, then my second guess is my Yamamaha home theater receiver has an issue.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Why would only one of the Genies either be updated, or be omitted with an update?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

How old is your TV?  I don't think the burden of HDCP compatibility falls upon the cable, but on the component it is plugged into.  If it's not the TV then it might be the receiver.  I've seen a few examples of this issue when their HDMI is run through a receiver.  In my case is was definitely my TV.  I bought it in 2006.  Switching to the 10 pin/component cable took care of my problem with no noticeable reduction in picture quality.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

All this talk of moving to component cables is hogwash. That doesn't address the problem, but I realize it allows people to watch TV. But I digress...

I think I found my issue. It was with my receiver. It looks like one of my kids accidentally changed a setting on the HDMI ports. So after I reviewed 100+ settings I found that they modified my "HDMI out" settings.

So I think my issue is solved via a config. change on my Yamaha Home Theater Receiver RX-A830.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

This just happened to us on NY eve! I called tech support and the tech said it's an issue on thier end and they are working on it. And they're going to send me component cables.

I researched it online and found out that it has to do with the HMCP, and it looks like it started with disney a while back.

How dare they not inform us of this HDCP ruling. I demand that they reimburse me for not having my digital content.

When and how are they going to tell me that it's fixed?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.6K Messages

4 years ago

It is the content providers that added HDCP to everything they produce DTV and all other distributors and manufactures have to comply.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

I have 5 TVs, one over 10 years old, 3 others, a couple years old & one I bought in 2019.
These have all been working fine for as long as I've had them up until the new year and now only the newest one has this issue. I can restart the the Genie mini and sometimes that will resolve the issue for a few minutes to a few hours.
This doesn't make any sense given the explanation provided here.
Anyone have anything further on this? Was there a change by ATT 1/1/20? And why would the newest TV alone have the issue?
In addition, there are two Vizio's, one older & my new one that are practically the same model other than the year of purchase. And all are HDMI connected via the same Genie model.
peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

4 years ago

@rubemon there is nothing to fix.  Either your TV and inline equipment is compatible or is not.  In the rare invent that is not compatible then you need to use component cables instead of HDMI

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you both for your insight. I still believe that good customer service would have warranted a notice and compromise prior to us losing our HD "content".

It's like oil companies making a change to thier gas "content", without notice, and all of a sudden your car doesn't work! Opps, sorry, you need to buy a compliant car. It's just leaves an ugly taste in my mouth.

I'm seriously thinking about changing providers. I don' care if I still need new equipment. DTV needed to own up to this and they didn't.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

The same thing for me. I tried swapping hdmi cables and it was worse. These were name brand cables that were maybe 6 or 7 years old. I had another cable from directv that was leftover from another install and everything worked perfectly. This was on a c51 client with new hr55 that was installed yesterday with 2 other clients that worked perfectly. Don't ask me. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Try Channel 350 (C-SPan 1).  It works fine since it's not protected.  Most others are protected and won't work.  My problem is that I take the audio and video out (not component) and feed them to a RF modulator that has an output on analog channel 21.  Channel 21 is distributed throught my house to five older TV sets.  The resolution is fine for what I want and the cableing is very simple (coaxial antenna cable).  That worked fine until a few weeks ago.  Now I can only watch satellite on my main TV, which is new and connected via HDMI.

peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

4 years ago

you need to leave the main TV on, or get an HDMI splitter that keeps the HDMI handshake alive. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

My mini-genie worked perfect on the same TV with HDMI for about a year. I know the problem is not the TV because the HDCP code is between every frame, so it would not work ever at all. The other TV on the large DVR genie is also a Sony Bravia from 2007 and it works fine with no errors. Moved to another state, new dish installed, sevice tech set-up mini-genie, then a few weeks later this intermittent error message "This TV does not support this program's content protection." Works for a couple minutes, then cuts out. Reboot the genie, works for a couple minutes. Power off /on same thing. Therefore, I have deduced the problem is not the TV, the error message is irrelevant to the actual cause and it is mostly likely the mini-genie itself. It's probably too high or too low signal strength for the mini-genie to handle or it's corrupted by EMI or dirty power that the DVR genie is immune to. The dish may have been installed in a poor spot, so signal is enough for DVR genie, but not enough for mini-genie. The good RG-6 quad shield cable on the amplified relay may be supplying too high signal strength. Either way the mini-genie is a cheap POC.