Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sun, Jul 23, 2017 3:21 PM

Why does the DVR require an internet connection and how much data does this configuration consume?

I have Direct TV + DVR for TV and I have Hughes for High Speed internet,  I'm still trying to understand if my TV shows are recorded directly to the DVR, then why do I need to have an internet connection....and how much of my Hughes Satellite data is going to be consumed because my DVR requires the internet connection?  It just doesn't make sense if the shows are truly being recorded to the DVR.  Can someone kindly clarify?  Thanks! Doug

Responses

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 months ago

I have a similar question. Why does directv need to reconnect while watching a recording? I have a genie on ATT internet. There is a strange trianglular device that comes from the coax-in and then it connects to the Genie via HDMI. Is there no DVR in that thing? It's certainly big enough. What does it do? By the way - I made SERIOUS mistake "upgrading" to the Genie. The old HR?? performed much better in many ways. And - don't bother with 4k. There are only 5 4k channels and 4 of them are pay-per view. The free channel is not worth your time.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

Can you post a picture of this strange trianglular device as only the TV is connected to the HDMI output of a Genie and there are no inputs exceprt for the sat feed and yes the Genie has a 1TB hard drive.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thanks for the quick reply.

It's a Genie 2. Sorry for not clarifying previously. The picture is too big to attach.

So why does this system have to reconnect frequently if it does not depend on the internet? 1TB? I'm at 83% free it says. When it has to reconnect it goes back to live and I need to get back into recordings, select and resume.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

The HS17 Genie2 has a 2TB hard drive and has no outputs to connect to a TV so only minis are connect to the TV.

The problem you are having is the minis loosing the streaming connection to the HS17 Genie2 not the internet being disconnected from the HS17 Genie2.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

18.7K Messages

@JJRacoon

This is not an internet issue. Your Mini Genie Client is losing connection to the main box, which is not the Genie but the problematic Genie-2. I would verify coax is finger tight in all boxes. Then reset the main box, followed by the Clients. Just make sure main box reset is finished before resetting the Clients.

If that doesn't fix the issue, then you will need to call DirecTV. Service call is $99, or if just delivery of replacement box $19.95, but should be covered if it was installed within the last 90 days or if you have their optional equipment protection plan.

Genie-2 (HS17) is a Headless Server tower. Doesn't go on a TV itself. Just feeds Clients.

7 tuners are a hard cap as Clients have no tuners of their own.

2TB recording space.

Forbids anything that is not a Client.

Allows 4K streams to 2 TVs at a time.

Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) is the Advanced Whole Home HDDVR.

5 tuners, which is not a hard cap.

Because of Picture in Picture, 2 tuners are kept to the Genie.

Max 3 Clients in use at one time.

1TB recording space.

Allows HDDVRs which have 500GB (as of recent models) and 2 tuners.

Genie and 2 HDDVRs are 9 tuners, more than the Genie-2 can ever have.

Those 3 boxes are already 2TB total between them.

The 3rd gen Genie (HR54) supports the 4K Client as well, but only 1 stream at a time.

Because of restrictions by design, and limited 4K content, I agree a regular Genie setup with HDDVRs (last model made HR24) is optimal. Especially since if main box goes down then all Clients do as well since they cannot work by themselves. Some people having a 4K Client in the mix makes sense if they don't need the additional tuners of a HDDVR for that TV.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…