Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sun, Jul 23, 2017 3:21 PM

Why does the DVR require an internet connection and how much data does this configuration consume?

I have Direct TV + DVR for TV and I have Hughes for High Speed internet,  I'm still trying to understand if my TV shows are recorded directly to the DVR, then why do I need to have an internet connection....and how much of my Hughes Satellite data is going to be consumed because my DVR requires the internet connection?  It just doesn't make sense if the shows are truly being recorded to the DVR.  Can someone kindly clarify?  Thanks! Doug

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

19.1K Messages

a year ago

Internet is only needed for On Demand, start from the beginning and to pay for PPV using the remote.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

18.5K Messages

a year ago

@Newperson wrote:

Yes it does use the internet in the past 24 hours it used 62% of my internet my daughter doesn't use much on her tablet in one day

Nobody is saying that DirecTV can not use internet. We are confirming that internet is NOT required to use DirecTV.

DirecTV is service by satellite. So watching TV, recording, even PPVs in the 100s, can be used with no internet access at all.

If an HDDVR is connected to internet you get On Demand. Many channels have an online library of movies and shows. For example SyFy on 244 has SyFy On Demand 1244. All the On Demand channels are in the 1000s. Anything that shows 1100 is an On Demand PPV, sometimes referred to as Video On Demand (VOD). The benefit of VOD PPV is that you can download it and then your rental period goes from when you choose to purchase and start watching it as opposed to live TV PPVs which go on a normal broadcast schedule.

As a note DirecTV is suggested to NOT be connected to any internet that has a data cap/allowance (cell phone/mobile internet, satellite internet, etc.) as it is too risky to incur data overage or have internet service throttled depending who your internet provider is.

Bottom line, internet connected is OPTIONAL, not required.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.9K Messages

3 years ago

You don't need an internet connection to record the satellite-delivered DirecTV channels.  Internet is only needed for OnDemand viewing and downloads.  And those will use too much of your Hughes Satellite data (2-3GB for a typical HD movie).  Best to skip the internet connection. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

18.5K Messages

3 years ago

Internet NOT required.

Directv is service from their own satellite which does not share Hughes. Directv can use internet connection for On Demand features, but would recommend to NOT connect to Hughesnet as it is a metered/data cap type connection.

So do not connect Directv box to Hughsnet internet or it will eat your data. If already connected: Menu > Settings & Help > Settings > Internet > Advanced > Reset Network and that will forget the wireless connection info to your router.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I have the same issue - my recorded TV shows will NOT all appear unless the internet connection is established.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

19.1K Messages

2 years ago

There is a bug in the Genie that is causing recordings to disappear from the list, pressing the 0 button to reorder the list will return them temporally or find and play them from the history page, it is not the lack of the internet.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks. Update the genie?
TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.4K Messages

2 years ago

Updating is done via the satellite, not the internet.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.9K Messages

2 years ago

No internet connection is required to use DirecTV equipment.  You just won't get all of the features, such as OnDemand and easy PPV ordering. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

Yes it does use the internet in the past 24 hours it used 62% of my internet my daughter doesn't use much on her tablet in one day

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

19.1K Messages

a year ago

Of course if it is connected to the internet it will use your data, but it doesn't need to be connected to use DTV's services.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

Ok, so to confirm, I can record to and play back from the DVR without the internet?
If so, why would anyone connect their internet - VOD/ PPV ?
If we had access to broadband I wouldn’t be asking the question. Sadly, our only option is Hughes satellite and it’s painfully slow (and they throttle after x GB are used depending on your plan)
Thanks,Doug

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

Ok so here it is I have Direct TV and my wifi is through Verizon... I find myself thinking do I really need wifi ? I mean all I need is TV shows I don't watch HBO SHOW TIME ect. I don't order movies and I no computer. So do I need wifi? I only want to be able to watch my shows record them if I have to cause of them being at the same time and watch them later. Can I do this without WiFi and does Direct TV have DVR built in ?

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

18.5K Messages

a year ago

@ZinaKeeney wrote:

Ok so here it is I have Direct TV and my wifi is through Verizon... I find myself thinking do I really need wifi ? I mean all I need is TV shows I don't watch HBO SHOW TIME ect. I don't order movies and I no computer. So do I need wifi? I only want to be able to watch my shows record them if I have to cause of them being at the same time and watch them later. Can I do this without WiFi and does Direct TV have DVR built in ?

You have internet through Verizon, not WiFi as that is just a wireless connection (i.e. a computer and printer can connect by WiFi even if you have no internet at all).

HBO and Showtime are optional packs you can add to your service. Do not need internet for these as they come from the satellite (premium packs are in the 500s).

DirecTV has DVR and non-DVR models. From your questions I assume you do not have DirecTV. Their billing model for customers starting the last couple years has $15 for DVR service, but only if you have at least one DVR of course. Another note is that intro offers with DirecTV include the movie channels like HBO free for the 1st 3 months. You pretty much cannot decline the base part of the intro offer. You just have to call before the 3 months are up to remove the packs when you are done. As a note, anything recorded to the DVR from those channels (the normal ones, not On Demand) stays on your DVR even after the pack is removed. Nice way to build up your own backup library.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 months ago

I have the same issue. Everytime I try to play a DVR recording, it says no internet connection and I have to reconnect. This seems unnecessary if its DVR. On a local recorded on the dvr. Cant get around it....and it's annoying since the directtv DVR  keeps dropping internet while no other device I have have this issue.

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…