Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
hurricaneian

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sat, Aug 10, 2013 1:14 PM

Why Does My Signal Go Out Every Time It Rains - Why is every discussion about this issue deleted?

Just got hooked up 3 days ago, and already we were out 15 Minutes, and 49 Minutes in 2 rain storms!  Your salesman assured us that this problem was fixed!  I am very upset that we went through this again!  I Left you last time because of the same issue, and now it is happening yet again!  We were lied to!  It is not fixed!!  What can we do to fix this.  I want to find out if this can be fixed before I have the Comcast ripped out of my home!   This is unacceptable!       What options are available.  I have spoke to 3 different Customer Service Reps on the phone, and all gave the same thing, they are concerned, but have nothing to offer!  What do I do.  I want to stay, we love the Genie Box.  The Installer, Salesman, and everyone has been nice to work with, but this issue seems to stump them every time.  The Salesman told me over and over, "That Issue Is Fixed", "We have 5 Satellites now, 3 Receivers, and a Military Style Dish.  It goes out just like before, no difference!  No one has come out to check it after 3 calls.  What do I do??????

I am also very concerned that EVERY post about Weather Related Outages are "Deleted By Moderator", or "Topic Is Locked!"  This suggests it is a bigger problem then you want us to believe or know about. 

What do I do??????

Responses

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

I am so sick of DirecTV I don't have any idea why AT&T partnered with them but they are the worst cable company on the planet and have the worst rudest technicians when you call about any problem they're rude and don't ever give any help our cable is constantly out if the Wind Blows the cables out if it rains the cables out I have lost show after show because they can't record as soon as our contract is up in July we are going back to Dish

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

This happens to me also, and I like you think its a bigger problem than they are telling us. I have tried rainex( sprying it on dish to repell the water no luck. I have noticed that when the regular channels go out those dang infomercials come in strong, whats up with that?

Maybe its time at&t shoot a stronget satillite up to get a stronger signal down here. They make enough money off all their customers.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.2K Messages

a year ago

The FCC regulates how strong the transponders can be and if you are losing signal in light rain it is your dish causing the problem by not being aligned correctly.  It is the rain between the satellite and the dish that causes the loss of the signal not water on the dish unless it there is a heavy down pour on the dish.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

I have 99 to 100 percent( when its not raining, so I'm guessing my alignment is as good as it gets...next.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.2K Messages

a year ago

Those are usually only on the SD sats it is the 99/103 sat that are not optimize, they should be in the 80's so look at them.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Cstarman922

Employee

• 

560 Messages

a year ago

@shannon02 is correct. A properly aligned dish will not lose signal even in a moderate thunderstorm, I've aimed my own and it has gone down once for about 10 seconds in the two years I've had it. There is a chance that the 101 sat is pulling in 99-100% signal but the 99 and 103 sats are off. If signal loss is becoming frequent I would suggest a service call to have the dish inspected and re-aimed. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

a year ago

DirecTV is only allowed to transmit on certain frequency band and with transponders at a certain power. Signal  attenuation by raindrops inside storm clouds (it's not really "rain fade') is a problem with all satellite communication not just TV, worse in some areas than other. There are world maps showing this. In the US, Florida Texas and Louisiana are the worst. If your dish is aligned correctly, you should not see this problem too often (I'm in Texas so see it more than most). There is nothing DirecTV can do to fix this. Rain-X does not work, because it's not rain on the dish that is the problem. If you see red storm areas on the radar between you and the satellite over the equator, that's where the signal is being  attenuated.

If a sales person says  the problem  is solved by new satellites and "military dishes" they are mistaken.

• 

2 Messages

a month ago

It’s because Directv (Edited per community guidelines)

(edited)

Get started...

Ask a new question