Teacher

• 

7 Messages

Fri, Jun 1, 2018 8:33 PM

Why did AT&T ruin DirecTV?

After 15 years as a DirecTV customeer, I am seriously considering switching to something - anything - else.

Since AT&T took over, it has gone to crap. Terrible customer service, terrible equipment. Nothing works right anymore.

I recently switched to the wireless boxes and they are so slow and constantly freeze up. I know I'm not the only one having this problem, but it's a shame that a company that used to be on top of everyone's customer service list is completely ruined by a larger corporation that clearly doesn't care about the customers. And the fake charm and gratitute that the people spit at the call center is a joke. The whole conversation is just a sales pitch for the AT&T products that I don't have. Whenever they say "Thank you for calling AT&T" I tell them I didn't call AT&T, I called DirecTV.

Responses

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 months ago

AT&T/DIRECTV is horrible!

My wife purchased a new phone for me for my birthday at a local AT&T store. While we were there, the sales clerk gave us the hard sell for switching our cable service to DIRECTV with promises of much lower rates and all the local channels we currently had. This was a total fabrication. we live in Connecticut, but our "local" channels, according to DIRECTV, are from New York, a fact that we only learned AFTER the installation was complete. 

We called to complain and have the service fixed so that we could get our local channels. After several hours on the phone and in chats with AT&T, and after dozens of false promises (a.k.a., LIES) that we'd have the service, we are now not only without our local channels but without any service from DIRECTV altogether!  And we're being billed!!!

Now, we have a dish screwed to our roof and new holes drilled into our siding for the cables, but we have no service. I am telling AT&T to come out and restore our old service (thank goodness we haven't canceled it yet) and restore our house to its previous condition. Goodbye AT&T.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

20.1K Messages

6 months ago

@Pdoniger 

DirecTV may only provide you the locals for your Designated Market Area (DMA) per Federal regulations. Check www.directv.com to see what locals are authorized for your zip code (in some cases you select county as well). If the locals this shows are different than what you are receiving, then you must call DirecTV and verify the service address is correct (including county which I believe is the most common reason for it not matching).

If the locals shown are what you are receiving, then unfortunately you cannot receive any other locals through DirecTV as they are not allowed to provide you locals of your choice. In that case it would need to be a dispute to the FCC that you are arguing that you should be in a different DMA.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 months ago

Juniper,

As I indicated in my original message, first, we were promised our local channels when they sold us the service; second, we've done what you suggested - been on the phone with DIRECTV numerous times for several hours each time over several days. Every CS agent made promises of services that they KNEW or should have known that they could not provide. Today, I was on a chat with a tech person who swore that he would solve our problem 100%, that his supervisor would call within 10-15 minutes, and that the service would be restored within 20-30 minutes. It has been several hours: no call; no service. AT&T lies all the time!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 months ago

It comes a time to do without ATT products or services, that time is now. ATT is the worst.