Announcements
You Could WIN A Year Of Wireless Service – Learn More!
Adamv58

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Wed, Sep 27, 2017 10:42 AM

Whole home upgrade, mixed wired/wireless setup supported?

Current single fam home single floor setup:

whole home, HD service (no 4K TVs yet, maybe in next 2 years)

4x HR22 in different rooms, 3 with smart tv, one basic HD

swm net

cinema kit wireless

home wifi net, only using 2.4 band 

goal:

take advantage of upgrade offer to genie + up to 3 clients 

considering mixed clients

replace 1 hr22 with genie hr44/54

Keep 1 or 2 other hr22

Replace 1 or 2 hr22 with Wireless genie mini

Add Wireless Video Bridge(s)

Have read all docs and manuals and specs I can find, suggesting this setup would work...pros for me is 1 or 2 rooms now portable and wire free (unless I need to keep one coax for the wvb) and gain genie advantages, same storage capacity, cons 1 or 2 less tuners local to a room

Concerns/questions:

1.  Can I mix existing swim hr22s and Wireless minis as clients to the same genie?

2.  Wvb and genie mini separate net uses 5 band I understand, would it interfere with my home WiFi or increase congestion?

3.  Do i keep the internet to directv via the cck-w or should I switch to the built in WiFi on the Genie?

4.  Wvb needs one of my swim connected coax runs?

5.  If this is setup is feasible, any other considerations I should account for, or recommendations to get the best results?

thanks in advance for any helpful feedback!

Updated with diagram of proposed setup.

Home Networks Setup.jpg

1 Attachment

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.7K Messages

3 years ago

To specifically answer your questions:

1.  Can I mix existing swim hr22s and Wireless minis as clients to the same genie?   Yes. 

2.  Wvb and genie mini separate net uses 5 band I understand, would it interfere with my home WiFi or increase congestion?  WVB uses 2.4GHz WiFi band.  It should have negligible effect on your home's WiFi bandwidth. 

3.  Do i keep the internet to directv via the cck-w or should I switch to the built in WiFi on the Genie?  I would keep the CCK.  More reliable than WiFi internet access. 

4.  Wvb needs one of my swim connected coax runs?  Yes

5.  If this is setup is feasible, any other considerations I should account for, or recommendations to get the best results?  See prior responses for tradeoffs

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

8.7K Messages

3 years ago

do not replace the hr22's with minis

the hr22 will work with a genie

you lose 50 timers for everydvr you get rid of

the genie has 100 timers max

each dvr does 50

a mini does none

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.5K Messages

3 years ago

Do NOT replace any HDDVR with Mini Genie Clients otherwise you lose tuners and recording space (including what you have already recorded).

Genie 5 tuner HDDVR and 1TB (about 200hrs HD) hard drive.

Each HR22 is 2 tuner and 500GB hard drive (100hrs).

Mini Genie Clients have no tuners or recording space of their own. Also if ever a tech issue with the Genie then all Clients go down too.

I would recommend to only replace one of your HR22s with a Genie (HR44/HR54), do not get the Genie-2 (HS17) as that would have to replace your entire system. (Shouldn't be an issue, but if tech still has HR34 say NO as the original Genie cannot keep up anymore). The Genie can use the 5Ghz band if your router has it, but like other devices wired is suggested for best connection (direct Ethernet or BB Deca that adapts from router to coax).

In the next couple years when you get, or considering, a 4K tv then recheck Directv equipment upgrades. Right now there is no 4K HDDVR, can only connect via a Client connection and just 3 channels (one which is a PPV) at this time. So the only actual "upgrade" for your system is replacing one HDDVR with Genie.

Just a note, the Genie's Picture in Picture (PiP) feature only works on the main Genie itself, not any Clients or other HDDVR boxes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Adamv58

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

3 years ago

Timers...had not considered that.  May I assume timers are the triggers for recording a show?

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

8.7K Messages

3 years ago

yep, each show requires 1 timer

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Adamv58

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for the insight Juniper and mdram4x4.

I had the same understanding regarding losing storage and tuners, NOT going for an HR34 or HS17.  My target would be HR44 or HR54.

i don’t have a problem losing 1 or 2 HR22 aside from the one The Genie would Replace, even if I lose timers.

trying to determine if the mix of wired and wireless clients is feasible at all so I could have at least one portable connection. See questions list in original post.

Adamv58

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

3 years ago

2.  Wvb and genie mini separate net uses 5 band I understand, would it interfere with my home WiFi or increase congestion?  WVB uses 2.4GHz WiFi band.  It should have negligible effect on your home's WiFi bandwidth. "

I thought I read in the manuals somewhere the WVB uses its own 5ghz private/separate wifi SSID, did I read it wrong?

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.7K Messages

3 years ago

@Adamv58, I admit I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure the WVB uses 2.4GHz WiFi band.  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. 

Adamv58

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

3 years ago

Here is my visualization of the current/future environment I have, see photo.  Green new pieces, Red replaced/removed pieces, Orange supposed optional pieces.Home Networks Setup.jpg

Adamv58

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

3 years ago

Had my install done yesterday, here’s what conclusions/solution were to my original plan:

Concerns/questions:
1. Can I mix existing swim hr22s and Wireless minis as clients to the same genie? Yes, wired connections were kept, the cable where the wireless genie replaced the HR22 now has the WVB on it.
2. Wvb and genie mini separate net uses 5 band I understand, would it interfere with my home WiFi or increase congestion?  WVB uses 5ghz band of its own SSID and channel.  No conflicts with my existing home WiFi.
3. Do i keep the internet to directv via the cck-w or should I switch to the built in WiFi on the Genie?  It was left hooked up to the coax via deca on one of the HR22s I kept, but I think it’s now unused, as the tech inserted a new usb powered deca inline to that same HR22 and direct Ethernet wired it into my home internet gateway, so now all internet traffic from my directv devices runs thru the wired Ethernet connection.  This also reduced my home WiFi traffic.
4. Wvb needs one of my swim connected coax runs? Yes
5. If this is setup is feasible, any other considerations I should account for, or recommendations to get the best results?  Tech replaced my LNB with a reverse band LNB, putting me in a ready state for next DVR upgrade with 4K. The wired deca into my home router’s Ethernet port was a nice approach to bridging the directv MoCA coax network to the internet, big improvement to internet based directv services.