Announcements
You Could WIN A Year Of Wireless Service – Learn More!
ptownbubba

Mentor

• 

100 Messages

Sat, Jun 1, 2019 1:02 AM

Whole Home stopped working

I have 3 receivers,,,, H24-500 DVR,,H24-200, H25 100,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I  also have a DECA BB1MRO-01,, the DECA has all three lights on,,, this setup allowed all three receivers to view playlist, and allowed for playback on all three receivers,,,,,, until a few weeks ago,, now only the H24-500 will show playlist, and allow playback,,,, all rec. are set to share,,,, all have been rebooted several times,,,, but seems they will not sync  ,,,,, could DECA be bad despite all lit up ??? When originally installed,,a couple years ago,,, installer said I needed the adapter for whole home viewing,,,,, so I got one and it worked,,,,,,,,,, until recently,,,, I thought I read  24's and 25's did not need DECA,,,,, as it was built in,,,,, Confused ????

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.5K Messages

7 months ago

Right, if the Genie goes down all minis go with it, all HDDVRs will continue to work.  DTV dropped support for caller id long ago while the HDDVRs still have a phone line jack the software for caller id is not being updated and maybe even removed as it has in the new Genie software and the newer receivers don't even have a phone jack.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.5K Messages

7 months ago

@ptownbubba wrote:

I have 3 receivers,,,, H24-500 DVR,,H24-200, H25 100

Please verify your model numbers as those are not DVRs. I'm guessing at least one of those is an HR24.

Go into Settings > Whole Home > Status on each box. This will verify if they are finding each other in the first place.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
ptownbubba

Mentor

• 

100 Messages

7 months ago

Yes my mistake,, the one rec is a HR-24 500 DVR,,,,,

Status report on: HR24 500  No DVR found  it does show recorded programs when I hit List

H24 200     Whole Home  DVR Activated No DVR found, List button, No events ~~~~~~~~~~

H25 100     What the ??? All of a sudden ,, it sees the  DVR ,, and List,,, shows programs,,,, so it is working now,,,, WHY ?

The H24 , still is not seeing DVR,,, so no whole home to one receiver,,,,so,, is it a problem with the H24 200 ??? Will try resets again,,,,

So, I assume the DECA is working as it should,,,,

All three work fine on their own,, except the HR24,, it pops up an error  message to reset clock,, but time is correct,,, and it no longer shows incoming call numbers on screen,, phone line tests ok,, so internal phone modem must be out,,,,,

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.5K Messages

7 months ago

I would reset the HR24 first as it is your only HDDVR and then each other box in turn. Do these one at a time so they are not fighting as they resync.

Verify the coax to each box is free of debris and is finger tight.

ptownbubba

Mentor

• 

100 Messages

7 months ago

Ok,, will try that,,,, like I said,, all of a sudden the one receiver hooked and will see the recorded programs on the DVR rec.,,the H24-200 still does not see the DVR.

All receivers can get all Sat channels, no issues with that,,, and 2 can play recorded programs,,,, just one hold out,,,, thank you for the tips,,, will give it a try

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.5K Messages

7 months ago

Hope it works. If you continue to have issues then I would call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000.

If the issue occurs again, with it happening to multiple boxes, it is either the sole HDDVR that is the problem or an issue with the connections between the boxes. You would need to call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 at that point for a replacement box or tech visit.

But I hope it is just them needing to resync.

ptownbubba

Mentor

• 

100 Messages

7 months ago

ok,, thanks,,, I have an 8-way SWM splitter, even though I only use 4 ports,,  [ 3 for Rec and one for DECA ] ,, I thought I saw a message or chat somewhere, that there can be a resistor in the splitter that can fail,,, and can effect Whole home syncing,,,, even though channels reception is still good,,, ever hear of that,,,, like I mentioned,, there was a time when the whole home thing worked fine with all receivers,,,,I am considering a rec upgrade,,, one that does not need the add-on DECA,, ,,

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.5K Messages

7 months ago

@ptownbubba 

As you are considering a receiver upgrade, do not let an agent order you a Genie-2 (HS17) otherwise you would lose the recordings of your existing HDDVR as it only allows Clients.

If you have a free upgrade, replace the H24 (your older non-DVR) with a Genie. You can choose to replace your other non-DVR with a Mini Genie Client, just be aware it takes one of the 5 tuners from the Genie as has no tuners of its own. Alternatively instead of a Client you could upgrade the final box to an HDDVR itself, but that wouldn't be covered by the free Genie upgrade so would be a one-time lease cost of $199.

No monthly cost difference with an upgrade as you already have the full receiver services. Would have the 24 month service agreement from day of install.

ptownbubba

Mentor

• 

100 Messages

7 months ago

Here is what I like about my old fashioned setup,,,,,using the add-on DECA,,,,,,,,, I have [ or should have]  a DVR, that the other 2 receivers along with the DVR can access the  recorded programs, whole home,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,The other thing,,,, all 3 receivers still work independently,,,, in other words a receiver can fail,,,but I still have complete Sat channel reception on the other two,,,, as I understand using Genie [s] ,, it is like a master receiver, with a slave receiver [s] ,,  so if you loose the master,,,,,,,,,,, you have NO Sat TV anywhere in the home,,,,, I have the protection plan,,, but it takes a 2 hour phone conversation,, and then 3-4 days for replacement,,,,,,,,,,, actually the 2 hours on phone is the biggest  hassle,,,, I have done,, and do my own replacements with receivers,,,, if one breaks , please send another  I will hook it up,, I even moved my dish once,,,, no problems,,,so I do not even take full advantage of the protection service plan,,, and I do not mind that,,,,,,,,,,,,,, If you call for a tech,,,, it takes many days,,,,, and then on the day of,,, you have a 5 hour window for his arrival,,, so I do all I can myself. The only other issue I have,, is there is ONE local channel,,,, that tends to stall and freeze frame from time to to time,,, my thinking is the aim is off by a hair,,,,,,,,,,,,since EVERYTHING else works fine,,,, but they will not check my aim with out a fee,,,,,,,,,,,,,re-aiming is about the cheapest service a company can make,,,,,,,,,,,,, plus ,, it can be done without even entering the home,,,,,how fast and inexpensive for both parties is that,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ???Happy with with Direct, don't get me wrong,,, just a couple minor things is all,,,, Thank you very much for  your replies,,, it is very much appreciated,,,,

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.5K Messages

7 months ago

The protection plan is suppose to cover service calls and minor tweaking of the dish will not fix freezing on one channel. I think you need to replace the receiver that is not working with Whole Home. The HR44/54 Genies work with the DECA BB and it is the only approved method to hard wire the internet for use with DTV receivers.

You don't need minis as the HR44/54 Genies will work with all 3 of receivers you now have. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.5K Messages

7 months ago

@ptownbubba 

The Genie only works as a master for the Clients. You can have full receivers instead of Clients. My current setup is the 2nd generation Genie (HR44) and 2 HDDVRs (both HR24s). They work independently and have their own tuners and recording space, but can see each other's recordings via Whole Home DVR.

The Genie-2 (HS17) however, only allows Clients on the account and forbids everything else. This one makes the one point of failure setup the only option. This is the biggest reason I advised you to avoid this particular hardware. A Genie and 2 HDDVRs (9 tuners), or having a Genie with one HDDVR and one HD non-DVR (8 tuners) is still more than the Genie-2 could reach (7 tuners).

Calling about an upgrade or technical issue shouldn't take 2 hours. Unless their are swamped with call resulting in long hold times then an agent has a lot of improvement to make.

Warranty replacements are just dropped shipped as straight swap. Most upgrades are not just plug and play and require new hardware (such as swapping a SWM-8 to a SWM-16). DirecTV's system is setup to send a tech when not a straight swap and agents have no option to override that. They don't want a situation where customer calls back because of messing something up that ends up needing a tech anyway with possibly more work needed to be done to correct what was done already. Arrival windows are 4 hours (8 to noon or noon to 4) because of dispatch centers being spread out, there is no guarantee of having a tech within the same city. Kind of a difference for a nationwide satellite company compared to a hardline only in select areas.

All you should do for an upgrade is replace your oldest non-DVR with the Genie (provided you have a free upgrade). All 3 boxes can work, none are a slave of another as they are full receivers and not Clients. You can choose to on the order replace your H25 with a HDDVR, but that would be $199 as above the free upgrade. Normally the alternative would be waiting until your next free upgrade to get the HDDVR, but HDDVRs seem to be no longer being made as starting with the Genie-2 they are going to a Client only system. I keep hoping that new HDDVRs are in the works and they are just pushing to SWM only equipment first, but as time goes on this hope diminishes.

ptownbubba

Mentor

• 

100 Messages

7 months ago

Well,, after all the chatting,, and advice and helpful hints,,,,,, my whole home is working on all 3 receivers,,,,,I sorta' just gave up on the 3rd receiver seeing the recorded programs,, was considering equipment upgrades,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, then 'poof' all is working like it should,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what the ????  So all good for now,,,,, Pretty weird,,,,,,Thank you  for the help,,,,

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.5K Messages

7 months ago

Glad it is all working now.

If you choose to upgrade later, just replace non-DVR with Genie (not Genie-2) and maybe other non-DVR with a Mini Genie Client. Do not replace your HDDVR. Since this would be a tech install you can let the worker on site known about Whole Home occasionally disconnecting so they can double check the connections at that time since that would be making sure their install continues working going forward.

ptownbubba

Mentor

• 

100 Messages

7 months ago

To be sure,,, If I use a Genie,,, and a mini Genie,,[ and leave the HD DVR as is,,,, is not the mini a slave to the Genie ? in other words, if lightning or some other failure disables the Genie,,,, then the mini will no longer receive Sat. or local channels as well, meaning two devices have no service ? I may need the "Full Monty" anyway,, as mentioned earlier,,, the HD DVR, no longer displays incoming phone calls on screen, [incoming line tested ok  ]  and will also pop up a message saying the "clock can not reset, due to power outage",,, but clock displays correct time,, and there was no power outage,,,, weird ,,,,,.

ptownbubba

Mentor

• 

100 Messages

7 months ago

Ok,, for some reason, that really bugs me,,,, losing both because one fails,,,, perhaps not common,, but still,,,,and,, would it be less expensive,, to have a genie and one/ two minis,, then I have now,,, 2 self reliant receivers. and a HDDVR,, for a 3 receiver home, but for whole recording/replaying the HD DVR is a must have.  Maybe even though old ,, my system setup is best for my weird needs ?