Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Protect your device against loss, theft, damage and get expert technical support. Open Enrollment Ends 3/31/21.
ecstealth's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Thu, Jan 20, 2011 6:03 AM

whole home sharing

I have the whole room sharing set up but have two issues I'm dealing with.

First issue:

I have multiple recevers, most of them are hr-20 to hr-24 and all the ones except the hr-24 have deca's on them , and

all the receivers have been set up to share in all rooms and allow all access from all receivers, however, when I

recently checked the "STATUS" under the whole-home tab it has only a few of my receivers networked in each one.

So for my receiver in my bedroom, hr22-100, it will say whole home dvr: authorized and then under Networked dvr's

it lists only three of my receivers,but I have many more than that, and if I go into say my den and look under the whole home

tab it says the same thing as in I'm authorized but under the status tab it has 2 or 3 different receivers than what was listed

in my master bedroom receiver. I even have two receivers in my den right next to each other but neither one is available

to share from each other. One has two receivers that I can share from and one has 3. I do not understand how to get all my

receivers to list under the status tab. I have reset them many times to no avail.

Second issue:

One of my recievers will not share whatsoever. It says that under the status tab and then under networked dvr's it

says "No dvr's found". This is the only receiver that does this and I believe it is the hr-22 or 23. I even had the

technician try to run a whole new cable to the swm box and it still would not share. It does have a deca on it but the power light and

elink are yellow and the network is not lit up at all. I have changed the deca's 3 times to brand new out of the box deca's and

I have reset the receiver many times. We even tried switching the receiver with the hr-24 that is working fine in the den but

when put in my living room it does the same thing as the other receiver. The techinician who is very savvy could not figure

it out and said he would email someone to try to find the answer but I have not heard back from him so I am assuming

he doesn't know what to do.

Please help. I at least would like to be able to share all of my receivers on all other receivers whole home status tab.

I have the swm 32 switch by the way.

Responses

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.5K Messages

10 years ago

First Issue:  Don't worry too much about what it says in the Status menu.  Do all of your HD DVRs & Receivers actually see other's Playlists?  How many total HD DVRs & HD Receivers do you have?  

Second Issue:  Does the DVR in the Living Room have an ethernet cable connected to it (other than your DECA adapter)?

I wonder if the problem is with your SWM32 set up.  The SWM32 is actually 4 SWM8's housed in one module, but the 4 SWM8's are not internally bridged for WHDVR networking.  How do the four SWM32 "branches" connect to your various rooms?  Do those branches correlate with which boxes can see each other?

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

10 years ago

I agree with litzdog, the user should be better served with having two SWM16's instead of one SWM32.  the SWM32 was made for commercial installations (MDU), where it wont be practical to share across the multiswitch.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

No the receivers don't show all playlists from all hd-dvrs and no the dvr in living room doesn't have any other ethernet cables but the deca

cable but I believe you have solved my problem and when I checked the swm 32 channel it had like 3 or 4 receivers on each swm port and that is I could only see some hd-dvrs in some rooms and on other dvrs in other rooms. So whatever dvr was hooked to port 1 was all

I could whole home share playlist and the same from 2,3, and 4.

I don't even believe the person who installed it knew this or why wouldn't he tell me that. So now I need either a 16  or 32 (if one is made that big) output splitter so that I could put all dvrs on one port. Do you know what the limit is as to how many hd-dvrs can go on one port if

you have a larger splitter?

Anyway, thank you so very much for your help. Finally I understand whats going on and can put the dvrs I watch most on one port until I can get

a larger splitter. I have been waiting months to get this fixed. Again its greatly appreciated.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

By the way I do have a couple of 16 swm but not sure how to hook them up. The installers originally put them in but could not get the

swm to work so thats when they came up with the idea of using the 32 swm.

peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

10 years ago

a SWM16 is basically two SWM8's but are bridge internally for WHDVR, unlike the SWM32 which is 4 SWM8 without the bridge between the four sections.  so with a SWM16 you can have upto 8 tuners (DVR=2, Receivers=1) per each output.  there is two 8 outputs, hence SWM16.  you can cascade a SWM16 of a SWM16 off the legacy outputs on the side or use 4   2 way splitter with both ports DC power passing to divide the the outputs from four to eight, which you will then use to feed the 2 SWM16's  making sure that each cable goes to the same input on BOTH switches.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

peds48,

Thanks for the quick response but just a little confuse withthe swm 16. It has the 4 legacy ports followed by two flex out ports and then the 18v port, 13v port, 18v/22khz port, and 13v/22khz port and the n other side is the swm2, dc/power, and swm/power ports. So I do have 4 two way splitters that the technicians left, and are you saying that if I have say 8 hd-dvr receiers then I can use only one of the 16 swm or will I

need both 16 swms. So then if I have more than 8 receivers, which I do, then how many can I plug up with the 2 16 swms that I have.

Also if you could explain what goes where on the ports. Like I'm assuming the wires coming from the satelite go to the 4 ports that say 18v port, 13v port, 18v/22khz port, and 13v/22khz and I guess it doesn't matter how they are put on there from the satelite dish. Then I have the legacy ports and do I put onto each of the4 legacy pots the two way splitters. Then that would give me 8 outs for the recievers but then how do I hook the other 16 swm to it? Finally, do I just put the power cord where it says dc power port or swm/power port?

Sorry I am just learning about this swm technology unlike the old technology in which I knew very well.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.5K Messages

10 years ago

Did DirecTV install this mess?  If so, get them back to fix it for you.  You shouldn't have to pay a bunch of money for two SWM16s to replace that SWM32.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

Already have the two 16 swm's just need a wiring diagram as to how to install or hook them together. Anyone know where I can get such a diagram. I've found one 1 diagram for hooking up one 16 swm put not putting two together.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.5K Messages

10 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by ecstealth 

Already have the two 16 swm's just need a wiring diagram as to how to install or hook them together. Anyone know where I can get such a diagram. I've found one 1 diagram for hooking up one 16 swm put not putting two together.

See the data sheet for Sonora's SWM expansion kits here ....

http://manuals.solidsignal.com/SWMKIT_spec.pdf

You need wideband splitters to feed the incoming dish cables to both SWM16s in parallel.  

dcd

Expert

• 

22.6K Messages

10 years ago

Here's a wiring diagram for two SWM8's, but the SWM 16's would be wired exactly the same. Each of the SWM16's would require two splitters, a total of four. All of the DVR's and receivers connected to either SWM16 could share programming, but could not share from one SWM16 to the other.  You'll need eight short coax jumpers.  Make sure they have top quality compression fittings.

http://www.weaknees.com/pdf/dual-swm-switches.pdf

Get started...

Ask a new question