Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
P

• 

9 Messages

Thu, Aug 13, 2020 6:35 PM

Upgrading to Genie DVR

I've received several notices that I qualify for an upgrade to Genie.  Before I do, I have several questions.

Responses

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22.9K Messages

a month ago

Very good to get guidance first as some people don't get the optimum upgrade they need.

What are the models of each box you have now?

Are you adding a TV?

Additional questions?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

9 Messages

a month ago

Can't you see them on my account?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.9K Messages

a month ago

This is a customer to customer forum with no access to any accounts.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22.9K Messages

a month ago

Nobody here can see your account. This is a public forum of other customers (hence a chosen username that is not account identifying).

But this is a great place to ask questions before you get an agent who may not make the right offer of equipment. Many AT&T agents are not familiar with earlier setups and how they might work with the Genie. So just want to make sure you get what is best for you personally.

• 

9 Messages

a month ago

I currently have HD DVR's but not Genies.  What are the pro and cons to switching to a Genie system?

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22.9K Messages

a month ago

For proper comparison, please provide a little more detail on your current setup.

What are the models of those HDDVRs?

Do you have any non-DVR models?

Just considering replacing boxes, not adding another TV?

Most HDDVRs work with the Genie as it is an Advanced HDDVR. The pitfall that some fall into is replacing compatible HDDVRs with Mini Genies which are Clients, not receivers. Since they have no tuners or recording space of their own, being an extension of the Genie, Clients are a downgrade to HDDVRs.

• 

9 Messages

a month ago

Here are the models I have:

HR 21-200

(2) HR 24-100

R22-100 

(2) HR 24-500

Not adding another TV

• 

9 Messages

a month ago

With your explanation on the Genie maybe I only replace on DVR.

• 

9 Messages

a month ago

One DVR.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22.9K Messages

a month ago

Ok you have 5 proper HDDVRs, and the R22. All 6 are compatible with the Genie.

The HR21 has a smaller hard drive then the HR24s (320GB vs 500GB), and the R22 was the hybrid model, as was for areas where locals went to MPEG-4 even if you didn't have HD service. And R22's hard drive space wise was more for SD programming that takes less than HD.

If you upgrade, only replace either the HR21 or R22 with the Genie (probably the R22 since not a proper HDDVR like the others). The Genie has 1TB of space and 5 tuners (all your current DVRs have 2 tuners each). So suggested the Genie ends up on the TV that gets used the most. You would get either HR44 or HR54 depending on stock.

Recordings do not transfer from the replaced DVR, so suggested to be caught up first. Upgrades come with a 24 month service agreement. You should already have $10 HD and $10 DVR service, so this will add $3 for Whole Home DVR that lets each DVR watch the recordings on the others (assuming they are all in home and don't have one in a detached garage or other separate setup).

As a caution, do NOT get the Genie-2 (HS17). It is a server tower that only allows Clients, forbidding everything else. That would be a huge downgrade as you would lose every DVR you have.

• 

9 Messages

a month ago

Yes, I agree with you.  I will replace the non HD receiver only

I currently have whole home.

Thank you.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22.9K Messages

a month ago

You already have Whole Home DVR service ($3)? Wow, rare to find someone who had that install without a Genie. In that case there is no change to monthly bill as you already have all the needed services, so getting more bang for your buck.

Tech who installs the Genie might take the old box with them. If not, just remove access card and recycle the box. All your current boxes are non-returnable. Unless you get an envelope within about 30 days, you dispose of the card securely similar to a credit card.

• 

9 Messages

a month ago

Juniper,  thank you for your help.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22.9K Messages

a month ago

You're welcome. Too many agents I fear would have tried replacing more than one DVR, so very glad you checked here first.

And even DirecTV agents before the acquisition of AT&T were not always familiar with the special R22. But in your case you are free to replace it since everything else is a proper HDDVR.

Keep in mind that if you ever need to warranty replace the HR21, you would get an HR24 as replacement since that is the last regular HDDVR they made. But stock is dwindling as they appear to be moving forward with Clients, and as of yet have not announced a newer SWM-only regular HDDVR.

• 

9 Messages

a month ago

Your comments have been very helpful but is it possible to speak with you on the phone?

Get started...

Ask a new question