Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

• 

4 Messages

Tue, Feb 25, 2020 9:36 PM

Upgrade from HR34-700 to HR54-700 or Genie 2

Hello Group. I have an HR34-700 connected to my living room, I have 5 additional TV's connected with Genie Mini's C41-100. I have wireless internet connection to the Genie HR34-700 as well as to my Smart TV. I had to call in to get a couple of new remotes that died and customer service said I was eligible for an upgrade to the Genie 2. I have been reading lots of horror stories about the Genie 2. Not sure if all the bugs have been fixed or not, but I have some concerns with my current set up. My TV's are on two floors and in my lower level, even my WiFi single is not as strong, so I was concerned about the wireless video link single to my lower level. I was also concerned about my current SWM set up and would I have to change this if I upgraded the HR54 or Genie 2? My current setup and equipment are working just fine, but it has been 6-7 years this equipment has been operating. Thoughts from the Experts??

Responses

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

18.7K Messages

a month ago

Don't upgrade to the Genie-2 (HS17). Never mind any remaining bugs, it is restrictive by design.

Call DirecTV and let them know your Genie (HR34) is dead. You will be warranty swapped to HR44 or HR54 (depending on stock). Just $19.95 delivery or covered if you have the equipment protection plan. The 1st generation Genie is known for being slow and experiencing some overheating concerns.

Use upgrade to replace one of your Mini Genie Clients with an HDDVR. Gain 2 tuners, 500GB recording space, and no difference in monthly cost from a Client. Since Clients go down if the main box does, this gives you more reliability as the dedicated HDDVR has its own tuners.

If you use a wireless CCK to connect your setup to your home internet for On Demand, make sure that is removed with the Genie's replacement. The later models have it built-in so don't want to cause a conflict. The external CCK is an owned accessory so you could pass to someone who has regular HDDVR but no Genie.

Remember replacing Genie, just like any DVR, the recordings do not transfer. So suggested to be caught up first.

(edited)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

7 Messages

Just got off the phone with Directv. 21 year customer that has had the Genie 2 twice ... and now returned twice! I've tried everything, but there is some type of frame rate issue that I refuse to live with. Makes motion in the picture look choppy/juddery.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

18.7K Messages

Genie-2 was released too early in my opinion. The fact that it forbids everything from being on the account but Clients is horrible.

Regular Genie and 2 HDDVRs is 9 tuners, more than the Genie-2 allows. And you don't have to worry about all your TVs going down if the Genie fails or just resets (like from a power cord that got loose).

HR44 and HR54 are fine models. But the 1st generation (HR34) should be warranty replaced.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

Thanks Juniper. You mention, "a wireless CCK to connect your setup to your home internet". I am not sure what that is. I just connected the HR34 to my home WiFi network, the same process as with my Smart TV in order to watch Netflix.

Question - as per your recommendation, if I change out a mini genie to an HDDVR, how am I able to see what is recorded on 2 different DVR's on different TV's? Will the recorded shows just show up in my LIST as they do today regardless of what DVR recorded that show?

Your config above is exactly what I am going to do. Thanks

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

18.7K Messages

@dogman99

The wireless CCK is what allows an HDDVR or Genie to connect to your home router wirelessly. This was an external box connected to your system for any regular HDDVR or the 1st Genie (HR34). All later Genies had the CCK built-in, which if you had the external one it needed to be removed or would cause conflicts.

Whole Home DVR is the feature that allows the recordings of any HDDVR to be watched by any other HDDVR or HD non-DVR on the setup. So a regular HDDVR and a Genie will see each others recordings when you press LIST. You can of course filter the view to just the box you are on if you want.

So I fully recommend warranty replacing HR34 and separately doing an upgrade for one of your Mini Genies to a regular HDDVR. Last model made was HR24 which will have 500GB recording space of its own, in addition to the 2 tuners it brings. Don't forget the recordings on the HR34 will not copy to the replacement.

The Genie keeps 2 of its 5 tuners, leaving only 3 for the Minis. Since you have 5 Minis this means you have more connected than can be in use at one time. The regular HDDVR will help with that. Only 1 would be covered by a free upgrade, so if you chose to swap 2 Mini Genies to HDDVRs so that you were no longer over the limit, it would be a one-time lease cost of $199 for the additional HDDVR. Just something to consider. And of course there is no monthly cost difference from HDDVR to Mini Genie, or even HD non-DVR, as it is the same $7 for the additional TV no matter how connected.

• 

4 Messages

Thanks again Juniper. I do not have an external box, so this must be internal to my HR34 and that is why my HR34 is connected to my WiFi. When this was first installed (no streaming) I had this hooked up to a copper DSL line. I live in a private development, the (Edited per community guidelines) did not think about broadband. Today, I am on a microwave system and finally able to stream. I then disconnected from DSL and connected to my WiFi.

That is pretty cool that I will be able to see both DVR's in the one list. Perfect!!

(edited)

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

18.7K Messages

HR34 has no WiFi capability. Either you had an external CCK, direct Ethernet to the box (even via powerline adapater), or deca from coax to router. The HR34 has absolutely no wireless capability of its own. The HR44 was the very first to have that built-in.

But yes, each DVR can see the other as long as they are on the same physical setup as it goes through the coax.

• 

4 Messages

That is interesting, because I physically moved the HR34 Genie from my Gym in the lower level to my living room in the 1st level and then followed the Directv instructions to connect to WiFi. Unless my unit is an HR44, but Directv has it listed incorrectly on my list of equipment on-line. But I am 100% positive there is no external box outside this DVR (since I physically moved it) nor anything wired to my router. The router is totally across the other side and it was just set up in the last 6 mos.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

The model number is located on a label behind the access card door.

(edited)

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

18.7K Messages

Unless there is a CCK somewhere on the coax, and you are not wired into your router, then you probably have the HR44. The HR34 was the very last that needed the CCK with no wireless of its own, and HR54 was more for 4K setup support until the HR44 become less common.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

18.7K Messages

Also since the migration to AT&T's site, the model number no longer shows. It just shows level of equipment (i.e. Genie HD DVR) and whatever you chose to name it (Living Room, Bedroom, LR, etc.) so you know which room it is in.

If it shows HR34 on your equipment page, then most likely this is whatever it was named when it was installed, which would be a typo. Inside the access card door, or a label on the bottom will show the correct model number.

But correct, no HR34 has wireless built-in. That was one of the key features that made the HR44 so much better.

Contributor

• 

7 Messages

@Juniper Excuse me but I am jumping on this thread for info. I am experiencing intermittent video freezes (last 14 months) for a few seconds at a time. Wondering if swapping equipment might help? I've learned that there is a Genie 2 H17-500 available now. What's different about it compared to the 100?

Thanks, John

Mine:

Genie 2, HS17-100

4k Mini Genie, C61K-700

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

18.7K Messages

@jct9841

The number after the dash (-100, -500, etc.) is the manufacturer code. It just means which company made it for DirecTV. They are to the same specs just like if you were to see HR54-100 or HR54-700. The number before the dash is what matters as those are different models. I wonder if the Genie-2 will ever get a revised model like the 3rd generation HR54 now has the HR54R1.

Main issue is the Genie-2 (HS17) itself. Though better than when it first launched, it is still a bit buggy and is restrictive by design. With only a single Client, then you only have one TV. So with having the 4K model (C61K), if it weren't for the lingering bugs, then this is about the only time this system would be suggested over a regular Genie since the HR54 with C61K would be a 2 TV setup, since it isn't optimized for a single TV home.

As you are experiencing a technical issue and already have a Genie-2, as opposed to looking to upgrade options like the original poster, I would suggest starting your own thread to avoid any confusion. List the model numbers, full details of symptoms, troubleshooting tried, and what TV you are using and we shall try and help further.

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…