Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sat, Sep 14, 2013 7:26 PM

UGH! "Running receiver self-check"???

I unplugged my receiver, to change to a new TV cabinet. It took hours to get the receiver to reconnect and then about once a week, I have to reset the HD DVR receiver.WHY? 

Now "Running receiver self-check" has been on for days. The other two receivers, in our house, are working. I tried unplugging for 15 seconds, pushed the reset button several times. What do I need to do to get connected without paying $20 to have a new receiver shipped to me or $50 to have a technician come out? Like most families, we need to unplugged the receiver to rearrange the furniture every now and then...how can we reconnect the receiver correctly without going through this frustration?

Come on, DirecTV, keep it user friendly for something this simple.

Maybe switch back to Verizon FIOS after football. I NEVER had issues with them.

Responses

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.8K Messages

7 years ago

What model HD DVR do you have? Sounds like it's sick, probably the hard drive.  If you have DirecTV's Equipment Protection Plan, then you don't pay anything for a replacement.  Otherwise they charge you $20 for shipping.   And of course Verizon FIOS DVRs have issues, too. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

H

HD DVR Model: HR24-100

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Let it finish the reset and run a system test go into menu, setting and help, settings, info and test, run system test if you get a diagnostic result starting in 14 or 15 call customer service otherwise it will give you some troubleshooting tips to follow onscreen

peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

7 years ago

Next time wen you move "stuff" around, make sure to take pictures of the set up so you can re-connect later.

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.

* If the other tests pass, run the surface test.   Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive. 

dcd

Expert

• 

22.6K Messages

7 years ago

One thing some folks miss.  If you disconnect a receiver to move it and in the reconnect phase happen to connect the AC power BEFORE you connect the coax cable or the power inserter AC, you'll have a very confused receiver.

• 

1 Message

3 weeks ago

why does this keep happening now I’ve had this service for 20 years this just started!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.8K Messages

@Rhaus

Good question. I would suggest starting a fresh thread (this one is from 7 years ago) and fully detail the issue you are having (symptoms, error message, etc.), including the model numbers of your exact equipment and what troubleshooting you've already tried. Want to make sure a fix is found for your issue, in case it is not the exact same thing this thread was about years ago.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.