Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

• 

2 Messages

Thu, Jan 16, 2020 5:48 PM

TV Disconnect

A rep called me from (Phone number hidden) saying that there was an issue of radiation in my local 78250 San Antonio area and that my reception could potentially be lost if i didn't allow him to switch some wiring around in my receiver from his online location and then give me a lifetime no billing increase...is this for real?....or just another scam

Responses

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.8K Messages

1 month ago

Definitely scam. Radiation was a scare tactic. Also there is no way to remotely from an "online location" switch physical wiring around inside a box, that was just made up fantasy.

There is a real situation of some older setups must be swapped out as DirecTV shuts down the MPEG-2 feeds, but you should get a letter/email and call the official DirecTV number to discuss the MPEG swap. So more scam artists are active now as they try to piggyback off a real situation. If you post the models of each box you have, we could let you know if you need to call DirecTV or not and to help sort out options to consider beforehand.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

Thanks Juniper. I just kept laughing every time the rep kept passing me off to the tech who sounded just like him...and, they both used the pretentious fix to segue into a lifetime no billing upgrade. Said I could keep my "selected" Ultimate" package channels but reduce down to the "basic" price. I said I'll confer with the glowing neighbors when I see the AT&T trucks start rolling in.