Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Give Mom a virtual hug with our Mother's Day Gift Guide.
HEN2288's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tue, Aug 8, 2017 9:12 PM

TURN OF SCREEN SAVER

TV GOES TO SCREEN SAVER AFTER A NUMBER OF HOURS.

Responses

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

22.4K Messages

4 y ago

It is a bug in some receivers there is no known fix and no way to turn it off. Power Saver mode that returns the DTV receiver to standby mode after 4 hrs of no remote usage can be turned off.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

4 y ago

Mine does the same thing and I'm getting sick of it.  No fix that I can see. 

I swear, I'm about to go back to Time Warner Cable. (They keep sending me coupons for cheap bundles.)

I keep my TV on during day for my dogs, come home 8 hours later and it's on the dam screensaver.  I have power saver disabled, but still comes on. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

THIS IS NOT GOOD PEOPLE I JUST PAID MY BILL AND A LOT OF MONEY AND THIS STARTS HAPPENING!!! YOU PEOPLE NEED TO GET THIS PROBLEM FIXED NOW!!! THIS IS A BREACH OF CONTRACT YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO PROVIDE WORRY FREE SERVICE. SO GET IT FIXED OR I AM FILING A COMPLAINT WITH MY STATE!!!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

26.7K Messages

3 y ago

@Marthanna

Power saver is not the same thing as screen saver. Power saver would turn the box off (standby), as if you had pressed the power button, after 4hrs without remote input. There is no way to disable to screen saver. Though there has been a bug where it comes on when it is not supposed to, but it is so varied in the specifics a full fix has not been found. Some of us have gone 15 years without recalling seeing the bug on our own personal system.

@Teevar61

This is not a breach of contract. No company guarantees perfect service as it doesn't exist. So you want to file a complaint to your state for a technical issue? Probably won't do anything, but go ahead. Just make sure CAPS lock is turned off. Oh and "we" are not providing you service, this is a public customer to customer forum. If you want to speak with Directv then call them at 1-800-531-500. Screen saver is supposed to be in the boxes for their energy saving requirement, but yes only if working as intended.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

22.4K Messages

3 y ago

Screen savers were needed to prevent still images from burning into CRT screens not for energy savings.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

26.7K Messages

3 y ago

Yes burn in, whether CRT, Plasma, or other types is a concern. But a simple screen saver would be using less power than a full color image on the entire screen. I'm sorry for not clarifying that the burn-in is the primary purpose of screen saver.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

A screen saver is supposed to prevent an image from burning into your screen.  Maybe I'm missing something, but its tv... when is the picture still enough to burn into your screen?  If I'm watching it, there better be movement.  So, why is the screen saver necessary????

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

22.4K Messages

3 y ago

The screen saver comes on after a time when you pause a program.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

26.7K Messages

3 y ago

@LauraLea14 wrote:

A screen saver is supposed to prevent an image from burning into your screen.  Maybe I'm missing something, but its tv... when is the picture still enough to burn into your screen?  If I'm watching it, there better be movement.  So, why is the screen saver necessary????

Screen saver is needed mostly for DVR/Clients. That way if you pause the TV and don't come back within a reasonable time, you don't get the burn-in. Also if there is an issue in the broadcast that results in a frozen picture (not the box itself being frozen) then this can help here as well, though this situation happening for a long enough time to be a concern would not be as common as people forgetting they paused something.

Get started...

Ask a new question