Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sun, Nov 26, 2017 6:10 PM

Transfer dvr programs from DIRECTV to external flash drive

We are getting new dvr for our system.  I was told we could transfer our recorded programs to flash drive and then transfer to new dvr.  How do I do this and what kind of flash drive do I need?

Responses

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21K Messages

3 years ago

They can be recorded to a PC with a video capture device and software usually in SD and always in real time. 

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

2 years ago

I thought that it wasn't possible to transfer programs from the DirecTv DVR, because they are encrypted?

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.7K Messages

2 years ago

That's correct, you can't transfer them

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

43.1K Messages

2 years ago

@Deenterry0822 You’re right, it’s not possible, as has been stated multiple times on this thread. What did you see to question that?

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

2 years ago

Previous comment said: "You'll want to view any valuable recordings before replacing your old DVR.  Or copy them the "old fashioned" way to a VCR, DVD Recorder, or PC with audio/video capture hardware/software, and then one dated 2/2018 mentioned the audio video capture, as well.  So, that confused me.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Except for the last 2 comments, You guys are a bunch of "can't do" negative people... What you "can't do" is say something can't be done when there's almost always a way to do something when it comes to electronics... It's just a matter of asking yourself the magic question... "How".

There's always a way.... it's just that some ways are easier and some ways are harder.. The only thing you "can't" do, is transfer directly....

If you can stream it on your computer.... you can record it with screen capture software. 

Next time if you want to do it the easy way, use your own DVR, or DVD recorder.... not DirecTVs DVR.... because as you can see, it's virtually useless...

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21K Messages

2 years ago

The programs are encrypted to the DVR that recorded them so they will not play on any other DVR.

There is no app to stream your HD DVR content to a laptop/computer.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

2 years ago

Programs are encrypted to the DVR that recorded them. Per DirecTV's agreements with the networks, the equipment is designed and programmed to prevent transferring/copying of recordings.

Those that want to find a convolved workaround on this are breaking the rules of DirecTV's service. Just because you want to do something, doesn't mean it is allowed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Do you know if copying files from DirectTV to a DVD is still possible today?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21K Messages

2 years ago

Only in SD and real time by connecting composite cable to both.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

How can I record from my DVR to a DVD-Recorder?

• 

3 Messages

You hook up your DVD recorder like a VCR, hit PLAY on the DVR and RECORD on the DVD recorder.
You can PAUSE the DVD recorder while you fast-forward through the commercials on the DVR, if you want 😉.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

@TwanaBanawna

Correct as has been mentioned several times in this thread, recording the old fashion way by VCR or recordable DVD player is the option. Though must not be connected by HDMI or the networks required HDCP will cause issues.

Even if a new post is not directly under one of the responses, everybody gets an email notification when there is new information in the thread unless they have opted out. So posting months later responses for info that is already in the thread may not be the most useful.

Though definitely a nice mention of pausing the external recording if you want to manually minimize (potentially avoid) commercials in the recording.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.7K Messages

a year ago

See litzdog's post immediately above yours

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

Hi, please can someone help and tell me what software I need to download and use to burn off some footage onto a dvd to give to the police? Many thanks

• 

3 Messages

You hook up your DVD recorder like a VCR, hit PLAY on the DVR and RECORD on the DVD recorder.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

Look at the back of your cable console box.  If you see rca female plugs these could be analog output connections for video and audio.  You can run these to old vcr inputs and you will have non hd video recored onto vcr tape.    However if you can find a vcr with a hard drive you will can accomplish same result without using tapes...so it would be like having another dvr ..but all recordings will not be in HD,   I use a portable device with a 120 gig hard drive and I can put 50 plus 2 hour movies on it.  It is a Wolverine ESP.  You can find them on e bay for under 1000 sometimes.  You will need the "cradle accessory"    Never seen them on ebay.   Contact Wolverine data to buy one.  The recorder has a 4" screen and recordings are about 75 % of HD quality.  Contact me and I'll list one on Ebay for $80.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 months ago

Mine is not Direct TV dvr I use it with my camera to record outdoor activity and I need a recording from the dvr for a case coming up. How can I copy a recording to another source.

• 

3 Messages

Get started...

Ask a new question