Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sun, Nov 26, 2017 6:10 PM

Transfer dvr programs from DIRECTV to external flash drive

We are getting new dvr for our system.  I was told we could transfer our recorded programs to flash drive and then transfer to new dvr.  How do I do this and what kind of flash drive do I need?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

litzdog911

• 

53.3K Messages

3 years ago

You were told wrong.  It's not possible to back up or transfer DVR recordings.  They're encrypted to the DVR that recorded them.  You'll want to view any valuable recordings before replacing your old DVR.  Or copy them the "old fashioned" way to a VCR, DVD Recorder, or PC with audio/video capture hardware/software. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

shannon02

• 

20.9K Messages

2 years ago

Yes you can copy programs in SD to a computer or DVD/VHS recorder in real time but you can't transfer anything from the hard drive to another hard drive/thumb drive.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

litzdog911

• 

53.3K Messages

2 years ago

@lookingforansR wrote:

Do you know if copying files from DirectTV to a DVD is still possible today?

Yes, still possible.

The typical setup to record from your DirecTV Reciever/DVR to a VCR or DVD recorder is:

* DirecTV Receiver/DVR Audio/Video Output -> matching TV A/V Input (e.g. INPUT1)

* DirecTV Receiver/DVR A/V Output -> matching DVD/VCR Recorder A/V Input

* DVD/VCR Recorder A/V Output -> matching TV A/V Input (e.g. INPUT2)

Use the TV's Input/Source Selector Function to switch between the DirecTV receiver and VCR/DVD Recorder. To record on the DVD/VCR Recorder, select the DirecTV Receiver/DVR Input on the recorder, set the DirecTV Receiver/DVR to the channel to record (or play a recording to copy on a DVR), and start recording on your DVD/VCR Recorder.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Hmmmm, we were told by the representative from Direct TV. I tried looking online because we were not at our home while making the change to our account. I cannot find anything online to figure it out. I guess we will lose all of the recordings.
litzdog911

• 

53.3K Messages

3 years ago

Like I said, you were told wrong.  It's sad when the DirecTV reps don't know what they're talking about.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you!!!
nabukl

• 

3.6K Messages

3 years ago

Not sure where some of these reps are getting their incorrect info from, recordings have NEVER  been transferable and probably never will be, (former  tech support rep)

Juniper

• 

22.9K Messages

3 years ago

If you are upgrading, to make sure you are not further steered wrong, what are the models of your current boxes and what have you chosen for your "upgrade"?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I have a HR44/500 going to the new DVD with 4 k can I get the old Show's off the old for an them install them on the new dvr

nabukl

• 

3.6K Messages

3 years ago

No! Recordings are encrypted to the hard drive and NOT  transferable 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I have a HR44/500 I'm going to the new DVr with 4K can you download the old files to a flash drive then upload them to the new DVr 

nabukl

• 

3.6K Messages

3 years ago

No

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

How about to a PC

nabukl

• 

3.6K Messages

3 years ago

Again, NO!, recordings CAN'T  be transferred. 

Juniper

• 

22.9K Messages

3 years ago

Recordings can not be transferred to a PC, laptop, flash drive, external hard drive or anything else when replacing a box. The recordings are encrypted to the DVR that recorded them and are not allowed to be transferred. Even if using an external hard drive, if you connect to another DVR, you existing recordings will get overwritten as they are not allowed to be transferred.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Get started...

Ask a new question