Announcements
You Could WIN A Year Of Wireless Service – Learn More!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tue, Mar 15, 2016 2:39 PM

Saving DVR programming

I am considering upgrading my DirecTV HD DVR to a Genie, but am concerened I will lose my programs, already recorded on my DVR. Is there a way to transfer over to a new DVR if I upgrade?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

goldw1800

ACE - Professor

• 

1.6K Messages

4 years ago

Other than Copying them to a DVD from the current DVR -you will lose those recording or Keep the unit and add the genie and you can view those recording using the wholehome feature by watching them from the genie or watching them from your current DVR new location - The recording are tied to the DVR that recorded them.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

8.7K Messages

4 years ago

if its just a dvr like an hr24 or so

just add the genie, and move the dvr to another tv

when your done watching the stuff on it, cancel it and return it

unlike dish, directv recorded programs cannot be saved and transferred to a a new dvr

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

good tips.  can I transfer the recordings to an external hard drive?  I heard that there might be a copyright issue?  

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.5K Messages

4 years ago

No the programs are tied to the DVR when you connect an external drive to the new DVR it will not play the old programs.  Plus it is against DTV TOS to open a DRV to get at the hard drive.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Can you tell me how to copy my recordings to a DVD? I am getting new equipment today and don't want to lose my recordings.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.7K Messages

4 years ago

@mshaul wrote:

Can you tell me how to copy my recordings to a DVD? I am getting new equipment today and don't want to lose my recordings.

@mshaul, see this thread, and my answer to your question there.

https://forums.att.com/t5/DVR-Receivers/New-receiver/m-p/4777346#M104910   

Yes, you can copy your DVR recordings to a DVD Recorder.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I get that part, I just don't know how to connect a DVD recorder to the
DVR. Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks in advance.
mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

8.7K Messages

4 years ago

it depends on the recorder

it will most likely be by component cable and you will record while you watch

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.7K Messages

4 years ago

@mshaul wrote:
I get that part, I just don't know how to connect a DVD recorder to the
DVR. Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks in advance.

@mshaul, we need to know your DVR model number.  Some DVRs need adapters/dongles to provide the correct audio/video outputs for a DVR Recorder.  But here's the general connection process ....

The typical setup to record from your DirecTV Reciever/DVR to a VCR or DVD recorder is:

* DirecTV Receiver/DVR Audio/Video Output -> matching TV A/V Input (e.g. INPUT1)

* DirecTV Receiver/DVR A/V Output -> matching DVD/VCR Recorder A/V Input

* DVD/VCR Recorder A/V Output -> matching TV A/V Input (e.g. INPUT2)

Use the TV's Input/Source Selector Function to switch between the DirecTV receiver and VCR/DVD Recorder. To record on the DVD/VCR Recorder, select the DirecTV Receiver/DVR Input on the recorder, set the DirecTV Receiver/DVR to the channel to record (or play a recording to copy on a DVR), and start recording on your DVD/VCR Recorder.

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.