Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
J

• 

1 Message

Wed, Oct 28, 2020 3:55 PM

roku tv

I just bought a roku TV.  I have direct tv also.  I'm 74 years old and not terribly tech savy.  So I need help.  I got the roku connected but no longer get regular TV chanels like CNN, HGTV, CBS, NBC etc.

Can I get rid of my Direct TV?  How do I get PBS etc.?

I would love to talk this through with someone.

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

skeeterintexas

ACE - Expert

• 

16.2K Messages

a month ago

I'm a senior so let me explain this in terms that even I can understand....

Roku provides a way for you to access STREAMING services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and network content. 

In order to get CNN, HGTV, CBS, NBC, etc. you have to have the apps (applications) to get their programming.  Those are the little boxes you see.  You should be able to download the apps but you'll have to check you TV owners manual.

DirecTV provides LIVE programming.  Some apps on your Roku TV will allow you to watch live programming and some won't.  Also, DirecTV allows you to record programming.  Networks apps do not.

Don't cancel your DirecTV until you have checked out the network apps on the Roku.  I have Uverse but also have a Roku box for streaming.  I will not get rid of my Uverse since I like live TV and want to be able to record things.

Side note:  CBS is part of your DirecTV package but the CBS app carries a monthly cost ($5-15).

Don't mess with old people.  The older we get, the less "Life in Prison" is a deterrent.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

16.2K Messages

a month ago

As far as "no longer getting regular TV", check your TV owner's manual on how to switch back and forth between your DirecTV receiver and the Roku apps.

(edited)

Don't mess with old people.  The older we get, the less "Life in Prison" is a deterrent.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question