Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Fri, Aug 18, 2017 4:55 PM

Returning Direct TV equipment

How do I receive the box and shipping label to return the Direct TV Equipment?

Thank you,

Mike

Responses

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

2 years ago

Account cannot be open and canceled at the same time, as that would be a contradiction. You can have individual boxes disconnected, but as long as there is one box active then the account is open. When the account is canceled/closed, agents can still look at the account history to discuss returning equipment, billing, and even reactivate options. FedEx and UPS can return equipment regardless if account is active or not, however not all locations accept returns which is why it has to be a participating one. If a location say they can only return equipment if the account is open, that is an error at that location which unfortunately is just another example that there are problems transitioning from the old return process to the new one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

I received the final bill with $0 payable, no NRFs, so unless i receive a collection notice like this other poor guy..... 

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

2 years ago

Join the hundreds of us that are experiencing the same situation! All I keep getting are "canned" answers from someone on this forum that acts like we are all dumb as rocks!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

2 years ago

@CoSpringsUser

The "final bill" is mailed within a day or 2 after the last day of service, which would be well before the NRF would apply. Though it would be rare to show a $0 as the bill gets prorated showing either final balance to be paid or amount to be refunded if payment for full month already went through. If you are referring to the courtesy statement after that, then that should be fine as it would be confirming that final payment or refund went through to show the account at $0 for your records.

@gills11

Not canned answers, just the answer doesn't change regardless on how many times you post the same problem. Account being closed doesn't mean it isn't accessible or doesn't exist, just another way of saying canceled. There is no such thing as being open/active and closed/canceled. We agree there are problems with AT&T transitioning from DirecTV's old return process to the new one and can certainly advise on how it is supposed to be done now, but we cannot correct the issues that are happening between DirecTV and FedEx/The UPS Store as we are customers like yourself.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

2 years ago

I'm not sure why there isn't a way in the interim for customers to get a shipping label to ship the boxes back. I'm not re-posting the same issues I'm just re-posting my frustration, just as you would if your credit was being messed with when you knew you were following all processes. Processes that don't work!! Bring the employees back to the US and maybe things would get smoother. I've been dealing with this since January. Yes I'm upset and will NEVER, EVER recommend AT&T or DirecTV to anyone. 

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

I have heard a referral to a consumer advocate radio show or the BBB can spur action.  

My story is comical as well, and i have an entire timeline of customer no-service, which started with me cancelling a service for which i continued to be billed, and each foul-up, miscommunication, missing record, or non-correction which magically resulted in an $$ outcome advantageous to Directv/ATT.  

With each call i was handed off five times, with each new CNS talker needing to verify my phone number ‘which they can use for discussion and offers related to my Directv and AT&T service’ blah blah blah #eyeroll.   I repeated anew my problem to each new person, patiently.., each person went silent, typing away the record of my issue, which along with my phone number obviously was never available for the next CNS operator or manager to access for future calls,  or they needed to put me on hold for 10 minutes while discussing with their manager blah blah blah.  After talking, finally, with the last of about 20 people across four phone calls, after all the promises that my problem would be resolved, i got the final person, who I was told was with AT&T ‘Customer Retention’, who admitted that there was no record of my original cancellation, and further, that they could not (or would not) issue a refund.   

So, i Cancelled account on that phone call and was issued the instruction that I should recycle my receivers. THEN 10 days later received the notice that I needed to take all the receivers to Fedex or be levied a non-return fee of $130 per receiver. 

I cannot identify as fraud, but the consistency of it; the obvious retention of records paired with claims that they had no records; the passing around to multiple departments; the inconsistent or directly conflicting story and varying instructions from all of the CNS people; i certainly felt i was being radically screwed with.....    

The zero balance statement i just received means that my conflicting return instructions were merely annoying and did not result in a non-return-fee (NRF), so, at least tentatively, @Juniper was correct; i will continue to watch for the ominous ‘collection’ notice. 

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

I appreciate, Juniper, you being on here to communicate, that’s a start. I
further understand your need to explain that the Directv ATT partnership is
working out the kinks. What i am not hearing, though, is a sense of
empowerment on your part to do anything but shrug your shoulders at the
futility, even though you are an insider; which i’m guessing is not your
fault, the responsibility is higher up in your food chain.

These kinks don’t seem like they are all that complex or novel. There
should be available common sense solutions, and those solutions conveyed to
Customer Service and the CS reps should be given the discretion to resolve
them. Accounts get cancelled every day - set clear policy what happens to
the access cards, what happens to the equipment, disseminate the guidance
to the CS people, communicate with Fedex and UPS, and most of all DONT send
bills to extort money from people, nor threaten bad credit reporting, over
equipment that you KNOW you don’t even want back.

In my case, the CS rep instructed me to recycle the boxes; the Directv
website tells you how to do it; that CS rep closing the account should be
able to control the automated system to NOT mail out the conflicting
equipment return instruction. When i call Directv back to tell them i
recycled the equipment, i should not get argument from the new CS person
that there was no record of the earlier instruction to recycle the
equipment nor the comment that i should probably go ahead and pay the
possibly upcoming ‘did not return’ fee to avoid a possibly upcoming
negative credit report.

The conclusion, then, is that the did-not-return fees are an easy extra
money maker, with little downside, just blame the automated system that
fires off the bill and many people will just pay it rather than fight it or
have to deal with the credit report.
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

2 years ago

This is a customer to customer forum, we can't change anything.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

2 years ago

@CoSpringsUser I cant agree more! But I will tell you that you will get an automated email just like this after every call. They will make you feel as if your issue was resolved when clearly it isn't. Just wait...you will receive a bill. 

Thank you for your recent inquiry concerning your DIRECTV account. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

Based on the information provided, we were able to resolve your concern in the manner requested. If you still have questions regarding your DIRECTV account, please let us know. The resolution has been documented on your account.

Our goal is to provide a premium effortless entertainment experience delivered anywhere. If you have additional questions, customer service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We can be reached online at directv.com/contact or by phone at 1-800-531-5000. This information is also available on your bill.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

Those CS reps consistently said, specifically, repeatedly, ‘i have documented this on your account and i can resolve this right now’.  But then they would say “check your next bill to verify”.  It was never resolved.   Like i said, the conclusion i draw is that they have no authority nor intention to solve the problem in your favor, their job seems to be to issue verbal platitudes and to temporize to make the problem be pushed to an indeterminite future, in which the customer may just give up.  And the coup de gras was my last call, with ‘Customer Retention’, in which i cancelled - they had no need at all to ‘retain’ me as a customer.  I put out several thousand dollars to that company over the course of several years of subscribing, and that did not matter at all. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

2 years ago

@CoSpringsUser

I am sorry but I have no empowerment here. I am a customer like yourself, though a long standing one including friends and family who have had the service so have built up a lot of knowledge about the service. So best I can do is share my knowledge and give guidance to hopefully help others. I can help perhaps skirt some of the pitfalls from this merger with the info, but I cannot do anything further as that is internal between DirecTV and AT&T which I have no part in being a customer.

Sounds like you are good regarding any possible NRF, though as a precaution you could keep the equipment one final month to be on the safe side. When you are comfortable to recycle it, just make sure to remove the access card(s) and dispose of them in the same security as a credit card. Unless of course DirecTV sent you a courtesy envelope just to send the cards back for them to clear.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I returned my equipment via UPS. Direct TV claims they never got the equipment and that they cannot track it or locate it even though I have the equipment number. UPS claims that Direct TV is suppose to scan the equipment and credit your account after they scan it. They do not have a way to track it and say they are getting multiple complaints from consumers that Direct TV is not verifying when equipment is returned

I have tried calling, on-line chatting to no avail. I cannot find any email or contact information to send a copy of my UPS receipt to Direct TV. 

Is there anyway to resolve this. I refuse to pay for equipment that I returned.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

2 years ago

AFAIK it is the UPS/FedEx store that scans the receivers then returns it to DTV not sure if that is by packing it to ship or sending them in bulk, unless AT&TDirecTV cares contacts you then all you can do is call/chat with DTV  800.531.5000 

Mentor

• 

67 Messages

2 years ago

So if you are in arbitration with the fccc or any other consumer advocacy group you cant return your equipment? I too asked for and was told that i would revceive a return kit in 7 days.

9 days ago..

?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

2 years ago

DTV no long sends boxes you take them to a participating UPS/FedEx store.

Get started...

Ask a new question