Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wed, Jul 1, 2020 12:32 AM

Replacement HR54/700 DirecTV Receiver Still Continues to Reboot Every 20 to 25 Minutes - [Recent Firmware Push Problems: 0x13af]

Firstly, I apologize if my tone appears to be that of anger and/or frustration. As your valued customers, we realize that mistakes can happen, and as such, we want to make sure we are contacting the proper group whether that is DirecTV/AT&T about such issues and that something of this nature gets escalated appropriately.

When I called DirecTV, I spoke with a very kind-hearted woman who listened to our concerns. For the OEM HR54/700 DirecTV Receiver, it was thought that the receiver either went bad or that the HDD inside that receiver went bad. A replacement OEM HR54/700 DirecTV Receiver was rushed to us and I replaced that problematic receiver with this one.

With no external HDDs plugged into this replacement receiver, it does, in fact, work fine with no problems.

Our household quickly exceeds the capacity of the included 1 TB HDD inside that HR54/700 DirecTV Receiver, so I bought an array of external HDDs with external power sources to see if perhaps it is related to only certain external HDDs.

I tried plugging in the following external HDDs into this replacement HR54/700 DirecTV Receiver:

----------

500 GB Seagate

1 TB Western Digital

2 TB Western Digital

4 TB Western Digital

8 TB Western Digital

----------

Ultimately, that replacement receiver started powercycling/restarting/rebooting after 20-to-25 minutes past no matter what I plugged into it.

This left our family unable to watch the shows that have been previously recorded on our other external HDDs from our HR54/700 DirecTV Receiver.

Through unofficial online resources such as:

----------

RedH Firmware Watcher:

https://www.redh.com/dtv/

(A larger listing of DirecTV Receivers used to see which Firmware Updates are available for us to potentially download/reapply to each of our DirecTV Receivers)

----------

...and...

----------

DBSTalk:

https://www.dbstalk.com/community/index.php?search/3475749/&q=0x13af&t=post&o=date&c[node]=53

(Search results after searching for "0x13af" to see everyone reporting issues to them and seeing if others too are affected which there are plenty)

----------

...you can see what firmware is in the stream for each DirecTV Receiver as well as others who too are plagued by the pushed "0x13af" Firmware Update.

I come from a world where updates, before being released, are tested inhouse against an array of hardware while making sure that addon items, like external HDDs, can be plugged into, in this case, into compatible receivers through their USB or eSATA ports and continue to run stable for at least 72-hours, so that customers such as us can go beyond the storage capacities of the internal HDDs found within our receivers. Unless this is simply a one off, we as customers would like this practice to be implemented for stability and customer satisfaction purposes.

The real question that I feel will benefit us all is, "What is the most direct way of getting our vital information to those who make the firmware?".

I imagine that others are calling in and sharing similar experiences like the above and being shipped replacement DirecTV Receivers.

I recognize that this tactic can be utilized to buy the programmers and testers the time they need to fix the bugs and although it may fix some, I'm fairly certain that the ticket queue is going to skyrocket from our issues continuing.

For us, ever since the pushed "0x13af" Firmware Upgrade to our HR54/700 DirecTV Receivers, our family has been experiencing looped reboots from the original and test receivers we have.

Both Continue to Powercycle/Restart/Reboot Automatically Every 20-to-25 Minutes:

----------

OEM HR54/700 DirecTV Receiver with the 1 TB Internal HDD and an external 4 TB HDD attached.

----------

...and...

----------

Modified HR54/700 DirecTV Receiver with an Internal 4 TB SATA HDD.

----------

The only way we can watch and record without these HIGHLY ANNOYING reboots is if I disconnect the 4 TB External HDD from the 1-receiver and if I downgrade the other receiver to a 1 TB SATA HDD.

What do I have to do to coordinate a Firmware Downgrade to each of our receivers?

Are we as customers being capped to an Internal 1 TB SATA HDD with no external HDD storage allowed?

Responses

• 

7 Messages

a month ago

I am having the same problem.  Only way I can avoid it is by disconnecting my external HDD.  

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

a month ago

The external hard drive recordings will not be playable with the new HR54 as all recording are encrypted to the receiver that recorded them and will not play on any other receiver.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

@shannon02

Because of the “Coronavirus”, I’m pushing more for my wife and kids as it helps even as silly as it may look.

We can work on rerecording them.

I’ve considered that perhaps there are specific makes of external HDDs that are 1 TB and larger that will work with our receiver, but even with me doing plenty of reading, maybe I’m missing where that listing is.

To try to be as proactive as possible, I have 3 other external HDDs 1 TB and larger with external power supplies that even fresh out of the box, once plugged in, we have about 20-to-25 minutes of use before our replacement HR54/700 DirecTV Receiver automatically restarts itself.

I know through “Dish TV”, they have something called the Hopper 3 that I read recognizes up to 7 TB of storage space. My wife is pushing for that, but I really don’t want to leave as a customer.

Might you know if the issues with the push of the “0x13af” Firmware Upgrade have been escalated to the programmers and testers?

(edited)

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

This is a customer to customer forum,  DTV doesn't tell us anything about any updates.  AFAIK there is no upper limit on external hard drive size as there have been posts here about 12TB being used.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

1 Message

a month ago

I'm having the same issue!  Reboots about every 20 mins!  I have an external 10TB drive attached, which has worked perfectly for 2 years!

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.6K Messages

as i posted, software bug in latest release

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Same problem here. 8tb external used for two years; suddenly after the update, re-booting every 15-20 mins. Techie came and replaced Genie - didn't wait to see how it would operate booting from the external. "Not supported". So I've lost hundreds of recordings, have a "new" box which was made in China in 2016, have recording capacity reduced dramatically and had to pay $99 for the privilege because neither the CSR nor the techie had been given any info about this "bug".

Do we know whether or not the Tech Dept are aware of this? How long does it normally take for an update to be rolled out?

Fxinxs

• 

39 Messages

This is a customer to customer forum (I don’t work for DTV)
my understanding is that Direct TV is not supporting external drives, so I doubt they consider it a “bug”.  Also in case you were not aware, any recordings that are done on a receiver can only be played on that receiver - a new receiver will not play the old recordings - even if it can  “see” the drive.  Likely it would try to reformat the old external drive.   

Get started...

Ask a new question