Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
J

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Aug 4, 2020 9:00 PM

Remote Building

I have a remote building that is too far from my receiver to get a signal. The installer said I should order an additional receiver and a separate dish. He said it would probably be a one time charge for around $100 and then the $6/Month for the equipment rental. Technical and sales representatives are saying I will need another account. Where do I go from here, I have no plans to pay for an additional service so that is not an option.

Responses

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22.9K Messages

2 months ago

If it is the same residential address (such as a detached garage), then it can be on the same account. But if it is a separate residence, then it must be a different account.

A new dish is essentially $100. You are charged $7 (not $6) monthly which is an additional TV/Client fee. That is not a rental fee as DirecTV does not rent equipment, it is leased. The only cost for equipment is one-time up front on the order if you don't qualify for a free upgrade.

What are the models of each box you have now? How many you have and their models may affect your options for the additional TV.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

2 months ago

So how do you go about getting AT&T to do this, both the representative that I talked to yesterday said I would have to open a separate account.

Cstarman922

Employee

• 

589 Messages

2 months ago

First we'd have to know the model numbers of your existing equipment to make sure you can add a stand alone receiver in the detached building. If you have the Genie 2 (HS17) this is not an option.

If you don't have the Genie 2 you would call in (1 800 531 5000) to set up the appointment. I wouldn't mention that the box is going in another building on your property to avoid confusion on the part of the phone agent. I'd recommend asking for an upgrade to add an HD or HDDVR receiver to your existing account. this would create an appointment where a tech like myself would come out to install the receiver. The tech may not like the way the upgrade is set up because it doesn't mention adding a second dish, but it's our job. This is a pretty common appointment type where I live, there's a lot of homes here that have detached buildings requiring a 2nd dish. 

(edited)

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Get started...

Ask a new question