Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thu, May 16, 2019 6:18 PM

Receiver up-date scam

I just received a call from someone claiming to be from Directv  Saying they were up-dating my receiver. They are very good scammers, everything sounded okay until they wanted 199.99 for doing this service, I told them I could afford that he said he could lower it to 140.00. I told them I could not pay it they told me my receiver would not be up-dated and the receiver would be shut off in 30 minutes, I asked to speak to a manager another  person with a heavy accent came on and told me if I did not give credit card #'s I would lose service, they had the last 4 #'s of my credit card. We finally told them if they did what they said they would do we would sue them, because they are breaking my contract. We hung up on them and called  the Directv and of course they said it was not legit. These people are very good and convincing. The only thing they could not give me was my account number, please be careful.

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.4K Messages

2 years ago

Good for you! Clearly a SCAM!

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Just want to inform you that these people had the last 4 digit's of my charge card and knew the amount of my monthly bill, I want you to check your employee's as this information could only be known to a employee.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.4K Messages

2 years ago

@joanrcn wrote:

Just want to inform you that these people had the last 4 digit's of my charge card and knew the amount of my monthly bill, I want you to check your employee's as this information could only be known to a employee.

Not my employees. I'm just a customer. 

But you might be surprised at how readily this sort of information is available on the dark web. 

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

Just got off the phone with an obvious scammer.  Phone number appeared to be local to my area (915), but not a commercial number.  Pre-recorded message said that ATT was “moving their satellites” and that my receivers might not be able to receive the transmission and might need to be updated/replaced (and we all know that you update as a download over wi-fi these days—just updated mine a week or so ago).  Press 1 to speak to an agent.  Figured it was a scam, but what the heck, sometimes I like to play along.  Sure enough someone with a very heavy Indian/Pakistani accent in an obvious “boiler room” told me that my receiver may need to be updated and that I needed to turn on my TV “right now” so he could check my system.  It appears he was wanting the RID number and then was most likely going to tell me that I was going to be charged with some outrageous sum for him to “update” my system. I could hardly understand him anyway, and his line was so crappy that most of what he said I never heard, so, I got tired of the whole thing and told him politely that I was not interested and that it was most likely a scam and hung up on him.  He attempted to scare me by telling me that if my system was not updated, I would lose my service within 2-3 days—yeah, right.  Loser!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

25K Messages

a year ago

@SteeltownGal 

Sounds like a scam call, but some clarification on a couple points.

DirecTV boxes are not updated by WiFi. Their software updates come from the satellite trasmission. Info from internet (WiFi or not) is for On Demand, or the new advertisement-style screensaver, only.

DirecTV has started their big shutdown of the MPEG-2 feeds since April 2019. So many customers do legitimately need to replace their boxes as we all need MPEG-4 going forward. But it depends on your exact models (not RID or access card) if that is needed or not. If they are, then call the DirecTV official customer support number. What are the models of each box you have? (just the model numbers as that is not account identifying).

And of course if you do need the MPEG swap, that is no charge as is required to continue using the service. Call saying update is both required and at a cost (software or hardware) is definitely a scam.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

• 

1 Message

8 months ago

I had the same kind of call. No credit info was given (or my correct name) but have my receiver ID information. Will they be able to track anything from online? This is such a nuisance! If these evil people would attempt to work legitimately, they would have more money than what they could steal from my little check. And even in the midst of a pandemic. The person gave me the number 618.224.0089 and actually answered when I called. Then he went into his AT&T voice. When I asked for the main line, he hung up.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

25K Messages

@BlessedFavored

The boxes have no way for someone to physical track them. There is no GPS or the like. It is just getting harder and harder these days to protect our personal information. And right now scammers are trying to take advantage of everyone being home from Covid-19. So be very cautious of calls you receive.

If you were to post just the model numbers of each of your boxes, then other experienced users can verify if you should call DirecTV (their official customer support number) for a required MPEG swap, or if it is time to consider an optional upgrade.

https://support.directv.com/contact

Customer Service

800.531.5000 | Pay Bill | Order Movies | Refresh Your Receivers

General support daily, 8 a.m. – 12 a.m. ET

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21.8K Messages

8 months ago

No, there no tracking devices in the receivers and the numbers mean nothing to anyone that doesn't have access to DTVs computers.

• 

1 Message

a month ago

Just got the same scam myself.  They said the satellite had "moved in my area" and our software needed to be updated.  They also said that an update of the software would keep us from losing TV signal during storms.  I'm a retired senior computer scientist.  I hung up.  Very convincing at the start because they had my address.

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.9K Messages

a month ago

Getting your address is the easiest possible thing. Takes about 5 minutes from public records.

• 

1 Message

a month ago

I just got the same call on Dec 16, 2020.  In addition to everything listed in previous posts they wanted to know how many TVs I have in the house because it's a per TV charge to stop me from losing programming.  When I told her it wouldn't matter how many TVs are in the house since not all of them are connected to DTV she told me that they would have to know this to prevent the TVs from not working if we were to ever connect them to DTV.  Hmmm.  Makes sense to me!  LOL!!

Get started...

Ask a new question