Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Sat, Oct 17, 2020 11:38 PM

Proposed new home config with multiple DVRs

We currently have our two DVRs in the family room (HR22/100 and HR24/200) and a H23-600 receiver in a guest bedroom. I use component to VGA cable or a modulator and RF remote control to watch in 2-3 other locations.

After we move I plan to add a Genie for a Whole-Home DVR network but have a few questions. To keep costs down, I plan to move the HR24 to my office which will be my secondary viewing location, instead of getting a Genie Mini there.

1. Can I view the recordings made in my office on the Genie in the family room? Most of the material I've read describes the Genie as being the hub and streaming outward, but this would be streaming into the Genie from another DVR location.

2. Similarly, will the family room Genie show On Demand programs originating in the ethernet-connected HR24 in my office? I've read the threads about not using the LAN port for the ethernet connection, but using DECA instead. I guess DECA would effectively put all the units on the 'net, do I have that right?

Thanks for all the info on this forum and thanks in advance for your help in answering my questions.

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21K Messages

5 days ago

You need the Genie connected to the internet it will provide internet to the HR24 and yes anything recorded on the HR24 can be viewed on the Genie provided that playlist sharing on the HR24 is turned on.  Do not get the HS17 as that is a client only system that will not allow the HR24.  

(edited)

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

5 days ago

1. As long as your "office" is a room in your home, then yes. Otherwise you will need a completely separate account for the other address with its own equipment. Each DVR can watch what is on the other two via the coax cabling. Whole Home DVR is $3, which is the only change in bill if you replace the H23 with the Genie. Since the Genie is a 5 tuner / 1TB hard drive, compared to the 2 tuner / 500GB of each of your current HDDVRs, it is suggested it ends up on whichever TV gets used the most.

2. On Demand is shared between the boxes just like recordings because of Whole Home DVR. The Genie would serve as the connection, so the HR24 would have that Ethernet cord removed. I would suggest keeping a wired connection, so discuss with tech as many are defaulting to the built-in wireless connection of the Genie to simplify the install.

If you are sticking with 3 TVs, do not replace any box with a Mini Genie Client. If you choose to increase to 4 TVs, that would only add $7 for the additional TV. You could keep the H23 for that reason as can still watch what the others have recorded, even though it doesn't record itself, or replace with a Mini Genie as is an extension of the Genie (think of 2 TVs run from one box so share tuners and recording space).

A Movers order is a 12 month agreement, but with the upgrade of equipment that would change it to 24 months instead.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 days ago

I should have said "home office" instead of "office."

Thanks for those great posts which clearly and completely answered my questions. I especially appreciate the cautions about Genie-2 and wireless LAN.

If I went a step further to add 4K viewing in the family room only, I think I would have to add one Genie Mini C61K and specify the HR54 Genie. Is that right? I do have a 4K-capable TV now.

Thanks again!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

5 days ago

No worries, I figured you meant "home" office, but mentioned just in case.

Agreed, do not get the Genie-2 (HS17). Main issue is that it forbids other receivers, being a Client only system. A Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) and 2 HDDVRs outperforms it with more reliability.

Currently there is only 1 model of 4K box (C61K) which is a Mini Genie Client. Requires the 3rd generation Genie (HR54) to work. A 4K upgrade would guarantee that is the model of Genie you get. There is limited 4K content (only a couple channels and a few PPVs), so I wouldn't go that route unless you were adding a 4th TV so you don't lose an HDDVR.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Get started...

Ask a new question