Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Sun, Feb 16, 2020 7:41 PM

Options to upgrade to 4k compatible equipment

HI,

I have an HR44-700 and two Genies C51-100, I want to upgrade to a 4k compatible setup, I called DTV and the "best" they could do is charge me $299 for a new box (not sure which) and give me two Genies mini for "free". I really can't justify that expense just to have 4k access on limited shows. Is there another option like to buy the equipment from ebay or other source and have DTV just activate it?

Seems like we 15+year old customers don't matter much to them....

Thanks,

JL.

Responses

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

9K Messages

a month ago

please only post the same question once

but heres what i said in the other thread

are you under contract? i would guess yes. once out they will be more willing to do it for free.

or call back, say cancel, get retentions and try them

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

18.4K Messages

a month ago

@jl70

If it has been at least 2 years of active service since your last upgrade/additional TV added, with account in good standing, then you should have a free upgrade available. You must already have a 4K TV compatible with DirecTV's 4K setup or tech will not install.

Call and request to upgrade one of your C51s to 4K. This will result in tech on site swapping the HR44 to an HR54 to be compatible. You will lose all your recordings as they do not transfer over.

As there is limited 4K content, I would consider instead replacing a C51 with an HDDVR. Gain 2 tuners, 500GB recording space, and the ability to work independently (Clients go down if Genie goes down).

There is no monthly cost difference with either option. Here is the requirements if you choose to go the 4K route.

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60 FPS

Directv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only a couple channels in 4K (plus a few PPVs).

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

Consider getting a HDDVR (not-4K) instead of a Client as you get 2 tuners with 500GB recording space (as of HR24). More reliable, capable, and all for no difference in monthly cost.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

@Juniper Thank you very much, very useful info!

At this point, I would think I'm not under contract since the last upgrade was over two years ago. Unless they hooked me with a new one last year in April when I moved the service to a new house.

In any case, and since the 4k content is so limited, I would consider the option you mention above of getting a second HDDVR instead of a Mini Cllient. Would I be able to access the recordings from the other mini client and/or HDDVR, or can a mini just me pointed to one server?

Thanks,

JL

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

19.1K Messages

Yes, a move order comes with a one year contract.

Yes the HDDVR can access the Genie playlist and the Genie the HDDVR. Minis have no tuners or hard drive so have no playlist to access.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Great. I'll wait until after April that contract is up, so my voice will be better heard.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

18.4K Messages

Movers order if without an upgrade comes with a 12 month agreement (shown on the order confirmation just like when you first started DirecTV). In theory that shouldn't affect upgrade eligibility, unless an upgrade/additional TV was done at that time of course. But yes under an agreement or not can make a difference for options (at least retention ones). So if Move only, and you account has not be suspended (voluntarily or involuntarily), with good payment history then after the completion of the 12 months is the latest I would expect a free upgrade to be available.

Whole Home DVR allows HDDVRs (including Genie) share their recordings with other boxes on the account. So by replacing a C51 with an HDDVR will get you more bang for your buck. A free upgrade normally only covers 1 receiver. So if you chose to upgrade the 2nd Client at the same time, it would normally be a one-time lease cost of $199 for the 2nd HDDVR.

One thing to caution, all regular HDDVRs (non-Genie) are now non-returnable. So their stock of HDDVRs (last one made HR24) are dwindling. It is assumed that this is because they can work on legacy setups and are not SWM-only like all Genies (and H25). It is hoped that a SWM-only HDDVR would be in the works, but nothing has been heard of yet.

I would suggest not getting the Genie-2 (HS17) as it forbids anything but Clients which makes it a downgrade for some of us.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…