Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!
Anonymous

New Member

 • 

25.7K Messages

Wed, Nov 1, 2017 11:42 AM

New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

 

*** WHO DESIGNED BETTER YET APPROVED THE NEW DIRECTV GUI MENUS THAT APPEARED ON MY DVRS TODAY?

because they need to be fired!

 

WOW Directv???? You couldnt come up with anything better than that BLAND DISMAL ATTROCIOUS design of a menu?

 

Thank you for ruining my TV experience. Not joking! Not happy either!

Good Work !

Responses

Scholar

 • 

248 Messages

a year ago

@WRJW971  @ATTTimCS 

 

Yes WRJW971, this is what troubles me, Tim, even you wrote ( a few months ago) that the latest progress bar that I have with the 0x114b update was too dark, don't worry, this should be my last post to you on this topic until we hear back from you, and I appreciate your time and help.

 

When you get the chance, I hope you can answer all of my previous questions regarding the progress bar and forward the information to the programmers in hopes we can get the fully clear NOW progress bar.

 

But I realize sometimes AT&T needs to move in small steps and so that at least we can be assured that some incremental changes will happen. Is there any chance that the new progress bar can at least match the shading of the menu/info bar on the top 1/3 of the screen, that might give us a shot at reading sports scores/headlines. Because Tim, it appears that your screenshot has not changed from what I am currently looking at and I see a clear difference between the lower progress bar and the lighter more transparent upper menu bar.

 

Thanks again for your time.

ATTTimCS

Employee

 • 

227 Messages

a year ago


@WRJW971 wrote:

@ATTTimCS 

 

Tim, what is the update (if any) with regards to the DVR List problem that we’ve discussed? (Where when you go back it doesn’t go to the episode you’re on in the playlist.) This problem is still existing when the scroll bar is present. 

 

Also, do they have any intention of bringing back the option of selecting programs to delete instead of on a one at a time basis? 

 

From the look of the “new” progress bar, it simply looks as though AT&T is not listening to their customers needs and wants. 

 


Hi @WRJW971 , I just sent our team my logs yesterday as I had this issue again.  They are working on a resolution, and hopefully it will be soon.  I don't have an ETR though.

 

Tim, AT&T Community Strategy

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
ATTTimCS

Employee

 • 

227 Messages

a year ago


@gordongekko99 wrote:

@WRJW971  @ATTTimCS 

 

Yes WRJW971, this is what troubles me, Tim, even you wrote ( a few months ago) that the latest progress bar that I have with the 0x114b update was too dark, don't worry, this should be my last post to you on this topic until we hear back from you, and I appreciate your time and help.

 

When you get the chance, I hope you can answer all of my previous questions regarding the progress bar and forward the information to the programmers in hopes we can get the fully clear NOW progress bar.

 

But I realize sometimes AT&T needs to move in small steps and so that at least we can be assured that some incremental changes will happen. Is there any chance that the new progress bar can at least match the shading of the menu/info bar on the top 1/3 of the screen, that might give us a shot at reading sports scores/headlines. Because Tim, it appears that your screenshot has not changed from what I am currently looking at and I see a clear difference between the lower progress bar and the lighter more transparent upper menu bar.

 

Thanks again for your time.


Hi @gordongekko99 .  I always try and be as straightforward as possible, so I'll admit that I didn't see a change at first either.  When I did compare the two, it is a shade lighter.  I went to a friends house and used DTV Now to get a screen shot like what you have in your video, but mine looked much different.  I see your video was from 2017, and it appears the UI has changed there as well.  It is much darker now for DTV Now from what I saw.  It almost completely blocked out the crawl on ESPN for example.  I am still sending the video though that you sent though, and will keep trying.  I wish I had all the legalese as to why it can't get lighter, but I'll keep asking for it to get lighter.  I apologize I wasn't able to get this one totally resolved yet.

 

Tim, AT&T Community Strategy

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Scholar

 • 

248 Messages

a year ago

Hi @ATTTimCS ,

 

Thanks for continuing to try to enact changes and please continue to do what you wrote vis a vis forwarding the videos and trying to get more feedback on what their ultimate goals are for this GUI but can you also try the small step of at least matching the shading to the more transparent upper menu bar?

 

Also I found a 2019 video that reviews the Directv NOW dvr, look at the 2:07 mark, yes it does darken the entire screen but it looks like you can possibly read scores, is this what you saw at your friend's house? If you look at the cartoon network logo in the lower right corner, it still is visible.

 

https://youtu.be/iYb1DqEIUCY?t=127

 

Thank you. 

 

Update: And again look at the 3:20 mark, all of the text can be fully read with the progress bar engaged:

 

https://youtu.be/iYb1DqEIUCY?t=200

 

Update II: At 0:09 mark of this video, this might be what you saw Tim, it does appear darker, either way if we can work on at least matching the upper menu bar, there might be a chance we can read the scores:

 

https://youtu.be/0ddOHgs2fBY?t=9

ATTTimCS

Employee

 • 

227 Messages

a year ago


@gordongekko99 wrote:

Hi @ATTTimCS ,

 

Thanks for continuing to try to enact changes and please continue to do what you wrote vis a vis forwarding the videos and trying to get more feedback on what their ultimate goals are for this GUI but can you also try the small step of at least matching the shading to the more transparent upper menu bar?

 

Also I found a 2019 video that reviews the Directv NOW dvr, look at the 2:07 mark, yes it does darken the entire screen but it looks like you can possibly read scores, is this what you saw at your friend's house? If you look at the cartoon network logo in the lower right corner, it still is visible.

 

https://youtu.be/iYb1DqEIUCY?t=127

 

Thank you. 

 

Update: And again look at the 3:20 mark, all of the text can be fully read with the progress bar engaged:

 

https://youtu.be/iYb1DqEIUCY?t=200

 

Update II: At 0:09 mark of this video, this might be what you saw Tim, it does appear darker, either way if we can work on at least matching the upper menu bar, there might be a chance we can read the scores:

 

https://youtu.be/0ddOHgs2fBY?t=9


Hi @gordongekko99.  Those videos don't look like what I experienced when I paused DTV Now on an Apple TV.  Apparently different products have slightly different UI's.  Firestick, Apple TV, etc.  I included what it looks like on Apple TV below.

 

DTVNOW.JPG

 

 

 

 

I also reached out to ask for clarification on the legibility requirements.  They provided this screenshot which does actually help put it into perspective for me.  Hopefully this helps others as well.

 

Capture.JPG

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As you can see, if there isn't shading, certain fonts won't be visible to customers.  Again, I know the ask is for it to be lighter, and I am doing that, but I'm not sure it will get much lighter than it is in the image I shared.

 

Thanks

Tim, AT&T Community Strategy

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Teacher

 • 

9 Messages

a year ago

 

Agree 100%...reported below menu/GUI problem two months ago.  Nothing fixed to date. 

 

MENU PROBLEM:

Two months and counting. First reported that the menu/functionality associated with Series Manager was screwed up on Jan 20, 2019. This happened immediately after DTV pushed out their latest software update. As of today “nothing” has changed. Series Manager still does not reflect was is being recorded or what upcoming episodes can be recorded.  For some reason it also reflects both EST & PST schedules when it occasionally reflects a random episode, I am in the PST. 

 

AT&T responded once on 1/21/19.  Saying they were “already working on it and a quick resolution”.  Nothing more than a disingenuous standard auto response answer. Their last menu/GUI problem took 6 months to fix. And they wonder why people are leaving DTV by the thousands. I changed my account from 3 to 1 TV, returning the mini Genies.  Put an Apple TV and Roku device on both and they work perfectly. One more month with this horrible “cell phone focused” company and I can switch to DISH....yeah!!!!

Scholar

 • 

248 Messages

a year ago

@ATTTimCS 

 

Tim, without getting into too many areas where I disagree with the explanation given to you, why can't they just shade the area where the text and timeline appears, why the need to shade 90 percent of the box that has zero text/timeline beneath it?

 

And again I will point out the lighter menu bar on the top 1/3rd of the screen, lighter and has a better chance of reading scores behind it and zero problems reading any of the text in the info boxes.

Scholar

 • 

248 Messages

a year ago

@ATTTimCS 

 

Tim if you get a chance I think the perfect program to illustrate the top menu/lower progress bar differences is Jeopardy. If you watch Jeopardy while Alex is displaying an answer clue, hit the info button and then hit the play/pause/ff button to bring up the progress bar timeline and shaded box. You will see that you can fully read the answer clue and fully read the info text about the Jeopardy show, of course you also notice that the progress bar box is way darker. I think this could be a solution and since Directv is already using this lighter shade with the menu bar and the info box, it should meet their legal requirements.

 

Judging by the feedback you are getting, this might be the best sports/news watchers can hope for but I don't see how they can't match up the tones. Thanks.

 

Also if someone here can screenshot the menu bar info box with the progress bar, we would see the difference, thanks.

ATTTimCS

Employee

 • 

227 Messages

a year ago


@gordongekko99 wrote:

@ATTTimCS 

 

Tim if you get a chance I think the perfect program to illustrate the top menu/lower progress bar differences is Jeopardy. If you watch Jeopardy while Alex is displaying an answer clue, hit the info button and then hit the play/pause/ff button to bring up the progress bar timeline and shaded box. You will see that you can fully read the answer clue and fully read the info text about the Jeopardy show, of course you also notice that the progress bar box is way darker. I think this could be a solution and since Directv is already using this lighter shade with the menu bar and the info box, it should meet their legal requirements.

 

Judging by the feedback you are getting, this might be the best sports/news watchers can hope for but I don't see how they can't match up the tones. Thanks.

 

Also if someone here can screenshot the menu bar info box with the progress bar, we would see the difference, thanks.


Hi @gordongekko99.  That is part of the new update that is beginning to roll out.  The Play/Pause bar will match the transparency of the info section from my understanding.  Once you get the update, please let me know your thoughts.

 

Thanks

Tim, AT&T Community Strategy

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Scholar

 • 

248 Messages

a year ago

Thank you @ATTTimCS ,

 

That is good news, once the update arrives, I will report back here, take care.

Tutor

 • 

10 Messages

a year ago

Here is what it looks like.  I just happened to be watching Jeopardy.

AE9EBE3B-6C4A-49C6-8AE2-F8EE31E16971.jpeg

 

hoss713

Scholar

 • 

88 Messages

a year ago

After over 20 years with Directv, AT&T has finally chased me away...  My contract is completed and AT&T still hasn't fixed the new GUI so as of today I'm no longer a Directv customer. They didn't even try to convince me to remain a customer...

 

I'm sorry that it has come to this...but waiting over a year while paying full price is not acceptable to me.

 

I've switched over to a different satellite service that starts with a D.  It may not been perfect, but their interface is so much better and more responsive than the one Directv rolled out.  

 

 

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

 • 

9K Messages

a year ago


@hoss713 wrote:

After over 20 years with Directv, AT&T has finally chased me away...  My contract is completed and AT&T still hasn't fixed the new GUI so as of today I'm no longer a Directv customer. They didn't even try to convince me to remain a customer...

 

I'm sorry that it has come to this...but waiting over a year while paying full price is not acceptable to me.

 

I've switched over to a different satellite service that starts with a D.  It may not been perfect, but their interface is so much better and more responsive than the one Directv rolled out.  

 

 


good luck

thier equipment is head and shoulders above directv

i will hold off on the negative comments


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
GmaHrn

Scholar

 • 

237 Messages

a year ago

HR44-500 (Ethernet) & HR24-100

Revision (Software) 0x1104

Non Genie Remote (old style)

60” TV - Viewing Distance 14’

 

@hoss713 

 

Best to you. I am still checking out streaming. It leaves a lot to be desired especially in the audio department. Dusted off a TiVo and looking at if we can get OTA more stable here. *D* was definitely tempting but missing AMC. I am confident we will find a way soon to part ways as well.

Scholar

 • 

195 Messages

a year ago

mdram4x4 I gotta disagree.  at&t has let it fall into the state it is in now.  You got a bunch of yahoo's that think they know everything and this new guide has been a big fat zero since day one.  This thing has never worked and never will.  We as customers have been put in a bunch of dumb hands.  We have all said this is a bunch of dung since day one but you people still defend this.