Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

• 

1 Message

Thu, Feb 13, 2020 4:12 PM

My Genie equipment is over 10 years old

My Genie equipment is over 10 years old can I get upgraded to newer technology, my equipment seems abit antiquated compared to what my friends have. That is also direct tv

Responses

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

9K Messages

2 months ago

what are your model numbers?

list all receivers

the newest is not always the greatest

i prefer the hr series over any hs and mini combo

do you want/need 4k?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

18.5K Messages

@jthoma20

What models are each of you boxes? Over 10 years old should be pre-Genie.

Adding any TVs?

New features you want to gain, having any problems, or just don't want to be "antiquated"?

Newer is not always better. But at about a decade old, there might be some options to optimize your setup. Just avoid the Genie-2 (HS17) as that is a restrictive system by design.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

HI,

I have an HR44-700 and two Genies C51-100, I want to uprade to a 4k compatible setup, I called DTV and the "best" they could do is charging me $299 for a new box (not sure whick) and give me two Genies mini for "free". I really can't justify that expense just to have 4k access on limited shows. Is there another option like to buy the equipment from ebay or other sourcesm and have them just activated?

Seems like we 15+year old customers don't matter much to them....

Thanks,

JL.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

9K Messages

are you under contract? i would guess yes. once out they will be more willing to do it for free.

or call back, say cancel, get retentions and try them

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

18.5K Messages

@jthoma20

Please post back with the model numbers of each box you have. Then we can give guidance on upgrades, including any differences you should be aware of.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

35.6K Messages

2 months ago

How about 9 years old. The first genie (HR 34) was introduced in 2011. Or maybe you don’t have a genie. If it is a genie, it’s not really antiquated. The newer genie’s haven’t changed that much, so unless you are having problems, upgrading doesn’t necessarily get you anything unless you are looking for 4K.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

18.5K Messages

Well if it were the 1st generation Genie (HR34), that I would highly suggest warranty replacing because of huge improvements in the later 2 models. Don't need to upgrade for that as they are considered like for like.

So if @jthoma20 will confirm exactly what model numbers their boxes are, suggestions can be made. Glad they are checking in the forum before calling DirecTV. Too many new agents unfamiliar with older setups would try to replace the wrong boxes which sometimes results in a downgrade (or same capability in the case of one other poster this week I discussed with).

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…