Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
teetertotter

ACE - Teacher

• 

361 Messages

Tue, Aug 11, 2020 12:19 AM

Loyalty and Tech Dept Results

Today, I was confronted with and issue with one of 2 mini Genies.  I thought I had done and knew everything, which to try and resolve, but no result.  I called the Loyalty Dept at 5:30 CST time and there was no wait.  Mark had me do a switch with both minis, which I knew would not work, but you have to try anyway.  Patience!  He said if that did not work, to call back.  I called back and the woman transferred me to their Tech Support Dept with a 5 minute wait time.  She answered, had me perform a couple things with my remote and bingo, the remote was working and had a picture on the living room TV.   Long story short, she had me press the Mute and Enter buttons at the same time, which restored the remote RF, with a couple channels nbrs appearing at the bottom of the screen.....etc.   Before, the remote stopped working and the message on the screen kept saying:  "Sorry, the TV does not support Directv Ready Service. You will need to install a Geni mini to watch Directv on this TV."  The lady tech was super nice and helpful.  

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Responses

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22.8K Messages

a month ago

That "loyalty" (another name for retention) agent was either new, or likely not in that department.

Glad it was just as simple as getting into the right mode (RF/IR) and putting TV on the correct input so it wasn't trying to use an RVU client that you didn't have setup.

If you have a regular Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54), and not the Genie-2 (HS17), I would consider using your next free upgrade to replace a Mini Genie Client with an HDDVR. Get more capability and reliability with no difference in monthly cost.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
teetertotter

ACE - Teacher

• 

361 Messages

a month ago

@Juniper Here is my equipment:

Main HR 44-700      Man Cave

Mini Genies:  C41W-100   Living Rm

C61W-400   Bed Rm

Wireless Sender:  WVB2R0-34

Dish LNB:   Reverse Band 3

This equipment look good to you? It was the Living Rm Genie having the issue.  

Also, when I contacted DTV, I did not use the usual 0202 or 5000 phone numbers. They have a couple others.  All I know, I received resolve within 1/2 hour, from ATT.  The first person I spook with appeared states side, calling back, it was Mexico and she transferred me to a Mexican tech, that did know her stuff.  

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22.8K Messages

a month ago

A Genie and 2 wireless clients can be a decent setup for some. But there are some concerns.

Genie, which is a full receiver, has 5 tuners and 1TB recording space.

Mini Genies are Clients, not receivers, so have no tuners or recording space.

This means each Client steals a tuner from Genie (max 3 Clients in use).

If Genie goes down, all Clients go with it as they cannot work by themselves.

Settings are a little restrictive as they share what the Genie has (i.e. parental controls)

Wireless can be affected by interference (signal or physical) per nature of tech.

An HDDVR has 2 tuners and 500GB recording space, nothing taken from Genie.

Is a full receiver, so if Genie has issue, then receivers still work.

Recordings are still shareable of course.

Can have full independent settings.

Though only Clients have a wireless option, wired is normally more reliable.

Client, HDDVR, or even HD non-DVR is same monthly cost. This is because you are paying for the authorized TV ($7), not the level per box like some other companies.

So HDDVR vs Clients is reliability/capability vs having boxes you can relocate between rooms quickly for convivence.

teetertotter

ACE - Teacher

• 

361 Messages

a month ago

Note well taken...........Thank you

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22.8K Messages

a month ago

You're very welcome. Best to get pros and cons, as agents would be expected to talk up the pros more (the better agents will help sort out what is best for you personally, but AT&T agents are still learning about DirecTV equipment).

Get started...

Ask a new question